Oil burning/level/problems the facts!

vectra_Mike

Right I've searched on here and seen so many different threads to do with the Z22SE using oil like its going out of fashion... Leaking, Burning etc... well I'm having the same issues, seems like I'm having to top up every 150-300 miles, although I have been going from the trip computer telling me to check oil level and then looking at the dip stick reading... The oil warning light on the dash has not come on just the trip computer warning... I notcie I do get some smoke out the exhaust if I get into the high revs, so I know it is burning some some, but a litre every few hundred miles is a little bit excessive.. still judging by the past threads it would seem these engines to have issues with valve stem seals, piston rings etc.. which will burn up the oil...

SO... here's some of the facts I would like to know...

1. Why do the rings seem to wear quicker on the Z22SE then any other engine Ive ever owned? Had cars in the 150K miles and not had this problem?
2. Whats the cost to get piston rings replaced? Would it be a big job? (Engine out)
3. Is there a way of uprating the rings at all? like was there a design fault as they wear pretty quick if thats the case?
4. Is the Dip Stick really usless for oil level readings?
5. What is better oil to use, 10-40W or the 5-30W?
6. Ive read that low oil readings can be caused by a blocked oil pick up, any truth in that?
7. Does the timing chain use oil from the engine to lubricate it?
8. Can you keep running the car with worn piston rings?
9. Will this have an effect on the MOT emissions test?
10. Is the trip computer warning a good guide to go by?
11. Does the Z22SE has a tendency to burn oil anyways?
12. Why do the intake systems seem to get clogged with oil and gunk, is that a sign of aorn stem seals?

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, thought it might just be handy to get these question and the answers all together on one thread for future reference...

Sorry if it seems like Im asking for people to repeat what they've already posted before but I like to try and get to know my engine in my cars...

MikeS

Former Staff
is the car breathing heavy ?

does she breath like a boiling kettle from the dipstick ?

that's the biggest sign of worn pistons but doesn't necessarily mean high oil consumption

oil stem seals dont seem to be an issue unless the car has had work done before [head gasket] and they cut corners in not bothering to replace them after taking the valves out, or they simply havent fitted them correctly, I haven't owned a vauxhall yet with valve stem seal problems, people instantly think it is valve steam seal problems when infact it is usually ring wear

my car doesn't burn oil, never seen smoke when revving her but i had low oil level reading and it was going into the bell housing as a result of the man shaft oil seal, cant say how long it has been leaking oil but i lost around 1.7 litres, common places for oil leaks are the cam cover seal, tensioner seal, crankshaft seal, power steering pump seal, i have even seen oil leaks from the water pump

best way of checking oil is get the car level and run her from cold for around 5 minutes then clean dipstick and check 3 or 4 times

most vauxhall's with high mileage burn oil, doesn't necessarily mean the engine is fubar,

if it is bottom end damage and your not a competant mechanic then your better off finding another engine, as the serviceable parts will cost u hundreds then u looking at labour and possible piston replacement & rebores, crank damage
intake systems will get clogged up as a result of heaving breathing

u wont know full cost of replacing rings until u split the engine as u might have cylinder wall damage thus resulting in re bore and possible bigger pistons

u use thinner oil then expect to burn it off, every performance car burns oils so it is common sense the thinner the oil the more your going to lose [fully synthetic ]

the oil jets pass oil through to lubricate the chain to stop it stretching and snapping [friction]

my first car was a nova 1.0 [1996] and i drove her into some deep water and forgot i had a bolt on k&n, the engine seized up but i got away with using diesel to loosen her up, result was fecked bearing and damaged crank, i drove for her 18 months [20000 miles] using 5 litres of oil every 6 or 7 weeks, and i still sold her on starting up first time :)

my old calibra x20xev was a heavy breather and in the end lost compression on one cylinder, signs were the rings were fubar but i still got 6000 miles before i end up replacing engine

it is down the owner to repair the problem if no signs of oil leaks or drive it into the ground, i am personally the latter :p

if i was you the first things i would do is ;

1, jack the car up and get underneath it but use axel stands, looks for leaks around the cam chain cover and crankseal, and anything obvious

2, get a compression tester from halfruads and test the cylinders

then come back to us with the results