Odd temperature fluctuation after Stat replacement.

rushy

I replaced the stat a few months back with a Gen GM one from Autovaux as the old one seamed like it was stuck open.. Now my SE has always sat at 90 bang on no matter what speed (unless sat in traffic and it would rise a very little). All other Vec C's seam to sit at this temperature as well, not sure on Astra's and vec B's however.

Anyhow, after replacing the stat (GM 12622410 made in Mexico) in now only gets up to about 82-84 and when shifting along the temp drops to around 80 or just below, this never happened before as the old stat seamed very efficient at keeping the temp at 90. To compound this another member on Vec c got the same GM stat from Autovaux and he's having the same issue.

Also mayo has started to appear on the dipstick, never before has this happened. I've just done a flush and dropped the oil out and its still there on the stick, not from the sump but in the tube. The car isnt loosing any oil and the coolant is clean and hasnt lost a drop.

So my question's are 1, are there 2 types of stat, one for Vec C and one for all other and this is quite embarrassing LOL but which way round does the stat go in the housing. If your facing the housing from the front of the car does it seat flush nearest you with the spring behind or the other way around as im trying to work out why the temp is dropping when i'm on the move, as if the stat is very inefficient at regulating the temp. Ive fitted it the way I described but I noted it could fit both ways.

A long winded post for a very small issue but its doing my head in.

Cheers

Steve :)

rushy

Mmm, looks like that part number is used in the states and is a 82c stat, the Europe one is 94c and the part number looks like its 90537811. So it looks like Autovaux are selling the wrong Stats, would these 82c stats be the cool running stats Courts sell. Anyhow it looks like this could be my problem, first time Autovaux have let me down.

jwalker

I fitted a cool running stat and mine behaves the same way yours does.

They should go in with the spring part on the bottom, if that makes sense.

rushy

I fitted a cool running stat and mine behaves the same way yours does.

They should go in with the spring part on the bottom, if that makes sense.

Right so ive got it in the right way round then lol, but it looks like Autovaux are selling the wrong stats :(

cheers for the reply (y)

miniator

My autovaux one now behaves in exactly the same manner. As long as it stays above 80 (which it does) I've no issues with it!

rushy

With the price of petrol, running the car richer via the CTS reading isnt going to do my wallet any good though, the Vec C's a heavy pig to drag around and every little helps.

miniator

With the price of petrol, running the car richer via the CTS reading isnt going to do my wallet any good though, the Vec C's a heavy pig to drag around and every little helps.

The car won't run rich / warm up map above 77 degrees im lead to believe. I've had mine in for over 4 weeks I think and my mpg has remained as was ~32mpg

jwalker

Apparently to 'keep the engine running at its optimum temperature', no mention of fueling. My vec spends 95% of its life on LPG so I can't say I've noticed any difference in fuel economy

miniator

I thought that was the idea behind the cool running stat, to increase fueling via the CTS?

how would that be the case? The emissions levels of cars using an 82 degree thermostat in the US would be threw the roof - they'd never be allowed on the road.

The Courtenay blurb...

Our cool thermostats open 10 degrees earlier than a standard 'stat, allowing coolant to pass into the radiator sooner reducing the engine's normal running temperature by a few degrees, helping to protect the engine and run it closer to it's optimum power temperature. Our coolstats open at 82 degrees (standard stat opens at 92 degrees) and is fully open at 97 degrees (standard stat is fully open at 107 degrees).