not a happy chappy severe engine failure

leezo

:eek: cant belive it driving to london today cruising at 80mph boom :wtf: no power smoke streaming from back off car humm major engine failure !!!
chunks of metal here there & everywhere.

had timing chainn done couple of months ago by main dealer not sure if thats what caused it,
just wondered if anyone can give me advice i:e

do i take it to them straight away ask them to strip it and find cause !!!!!
or strip myself and get independant qualified mechanic to inspect it to find cause ?

or what could be possible causes for this SEVERE ENGINE FAILURE !!! :cry:

if it is there fault will they replace engine at no cost to me !!!! umm

the AA said it was possible for chain to break but wouldnt like to say without stripping it.
:cry: so p!553* off i could cry
any advice would be much appreciated
thanks peeps

john2666

hey Leezo, really sorry to hear about your motor mate, you can check if the chain has snapped by just removing the rocker cover. your main dealer will try everything to avoid blame so i would go down the independant engineer route, all depends on what its going to cost you though
Good luck

Sjdickso

Staff
Thats not good at all.

You say bits of metal everywhere, do you mean you can see holes in your engine?

It may be worth checking a report done to see what caused the damage.

leezo

just a quik glance over engine there is a good size hole in sump!!
so gutted i aint got the money to be forking out for this as i am out of work aswell now.
think i,ll call vauxhall today see what there opinion is about it all !!

MikeS

Former Staff
pay for an independant inspection that will cost a good ton

show vxhall the report saying it was your fault cos of the chain and start legal proceedings if they dont budge

leezo

umm tryed calling a few garages they dont want to know !!!!
called vauxhall they told me to take car there so they can start stripping it to find cause !!
what a pain in the ass just dont know what to do ?
if i take to vauxhall would it be a good idea if i asked to be present while they strip it ?

pgtips123

sounds like the same problem as my mate had with his zafira, he had hole in sump and it was broken con rod on no. 3 piston

leezo

conrod snapping would that be chain, that has caused it ?
i put 2 fingers in the hole (Lol) on the sump i could feel a load of metal bits clanging around boo hoo so sad !!

Nitronick

Con rod snapping would not be related to the chain being done.

Sorry but looks like your stuck with a goosed engine and not a leg to stand on.

leezo

for what reason would the conrod snap tho ?
low oil ? checked before i left !
oil pressure ?
oil pump ?

john2666

i agree with Vocky and everyone else on this one, conrod, inevitably crank damage as well, not chain related, who knows why though, could be a snapped bolt or if you engine has ever been seriously low on oil (could have been a year ago or so) the metal gets so hot it turns brittle and then can just shatter at any time, if this is the case you will be able to tell if you strip the engine down, the metal will have a blue tinge to the edges. Either way engine is goosed, probably best to just drop another lump in

vocky

Staff
there have been several snapped conrods recently, I stripped one engine and the bearings were as new, so it wasn't oil starvation

leezo

thanks for your input fellas
just ave to make my mind up, sell as it is !!

start stripping to find out total damage !! maybe head still ok ?

i,ll post back let yah know how i get on may even post some pics to make u all smile or gringe !!!

lalalalalalala keep smiling s**t happens as they say

leezo

well stripped head off today umm number 4 conrod snapped, slight valve damage on number 4 nothing to crazey tho !!
crank sensor blown off nice size hole there,
priced up bits i think it will be cheaper to get new bottom end as head is ok apart from 4 valves

will i get away with keeping timing chain ? prob not but worth asking, seems ok cant see any damge to it !!
will post some pics when i get chance to.

vocky

Staff
if it's the later spec chain you can probably give it a go, but it's up to you really.

make sure you get the valve guides changed on any bent valves, they will be cracked

Nitronick

vocky said:
if it's the later spec chain you can probably give it a go, but it's up to you really.

make sure you get the valve guides changed on any bent valves, they will be cracked

Wernt on mine when I pulled head off with rod 1 broken.