new rear mount fitted

poundy

im not going to do this as a how to as it realy isnt the best way to do it.this was done without removing the offisde drive shaft or exhaust manifold and i have to say i had a lot of luck(somethimes you need a bit of that).
i started by supporting the gearbox with a trolly jack so i could manuover the mount later when fitting the new one.1st things i did were:
remove the guard from the drive shft CVJ as this is in the way.
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_DSC00282.jpg

i also reoved the exhaust manifold heat shiled.next i removed the two gear shift cables as not only are these in the way they also lay on top of the mount.you will have to move these around quite a bit while taking the old mount out and putting the new one in
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_DSC00280.jpg

next thing to do is start un-doing the bolts to the 2 parts of the mount.these are bolted together with 3 allen bolts and cannot be seperated whilst in the car.
DO NOT remove these 3 bolts first as it will all move,even with the jack in place and you will find it impossible to get the others at the rear out.
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_DSC00283.jpg

start by removing the 2 at the rear.i have shown it hear with the mount removed so it shows the possitions better.
the right hand rear can be removed from the top with a 13mm spanner, and it did take me quite a while.the rear left one has to be done from underneath.you will have to access this behind the sub frame.
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_DSC00288_1.jpg

once you have removed these 2 do the front 2 which are alot easier.
then you can undo the 3 underneath
next is the tricky bit you have to get the whole lot out through the gap where the abs unit is.it will come out, but be patient as if you try pulling it too hard you will proberbly damage a hose or cable etc.
once out it looks like this
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_DSC00287.jpg

undo the 3 bolts that hold it together and you will be left with the mount
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_DSC00285.jpg

assemble the new one with the old gearbox mount.
this is my one i brought and only time will tell if it is any good, although i have to say it is rock solid and dont move.
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_DSC00286.jpg

this is a short video of how much movement there is, and if you think that this is just me moving it!!
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_rear_20engine_20mount_th_MAH00284.jpg
now comes the hard part, getting it back in!
at first it will seem easy but it isnt as you MUSTmake sure the gearbox portion goes in first or it will be in the wrong possition and you wont be able to turn it round once its in there.mine got stuck a couple of times but i did eventualy get it into place.i cant realy explain how to get it in as it is a wiggle excersise, but you MUSTput the gear shift cable back over the top of the mount as you pass it down or they will get trapped.
do everything in reverse, starting with the back bolts then tighten everything up first before you do the 3 underneath.you can use the jack to lower/raise to get the bolts into possition.
put all the other bits back that you removed and job done!
im having a new flexi fitted tomorrow which is why i wanted to do this now so i could see if it makes a difference.
ive been out in it an seems ok at the mo,fingers crossed.!!!!

JohnnyN

Former Staff
That mount might aswell not be there for how sloppy it is in the video. That's unbelievable! :eek:

Good job there though Paul. I must have a look at doing mine sometime. I bought some bits for a service for mine yesterday. I haven't changed the oil/plugs etc for well over a year.

poundy

That mount might aswell not be there for how sloppy it is in the video. That's unbelievable! :eek:

Good job there though Paul. I must have a look at doing mine sometime. I bought some bits for a service for mine yesterday. I haven't changed the oil/plugs etc for well over a year.
must admit hardest job ive done on the car to date,still anything else in the future wont be so bad i guess!! :) you ever need some guidlines when you do your mate give me a call.i did try and ring you today have you changed your number?

JohnnyN

Former Staff
No Paul, number is still the same. I've been out all day and left my phone on charge upstairs. I saw the missed call not long after I read your thread on here.

;)

MikeS

Former Staff
have you noticed an increase in vibration ?

as i thought it was the reason for vibration on my last car

i had a look at it but looked a pig to get to