new project?

ashley25

Hi just thinking of buying a another car just to rebuild the motor as I have never done this an wanna expand my knowledge. So my question is what car should I buy to do this? An what would I be getting myself into? Wouldn't mind something fairly quick once everthing is done. Any ideas would be good thanks

ashley25

Was thinking getting an early model Barina do an engine swap an put an 2.2 vec motor in it. Will put up pictures with my progress.

guy 27

Just remember engine swaps here in aus aren't anywhere near as cheap as they are in the UK. Cost of parts here are much higher. Then you need to add on engineering cert/mod plate to the equation. And also check with your states regulations regarding what can and can't be done. In qld that swap wouldn't be able to be registered as that motor was never an option for the car.

ashley25

Do u know how easy or hard this conversion is? I have done a little reading. Seems pretty simple but I have never tried it.

ashley25

Just remember engine swaps here in aus aren't anywhere near as cheap as they are in the UK. Cost of parts here are much higher. Then you need to add on engineering cert/mod plate to the equation. And also check with your states regulations regarding what can and can't be done. In qld that swap wouldn't be able to be registered as that motor was never an option for the car.

Im in south australia not 100 percent on rules etc will check it out before I start anything

ashley25

@guy 27 I could just keep the old engine number on the rego papers etc no one knows nothing is highly illegal tho but police here dont know nothing about cars or have even looked under the bonnet of any of my cars.

Matt

Administrator
@guy 27 I could just keep the old engine number on the rego papers etc no one knows nothing is highly illegal tho but police here dont know nothing about cars or have even looked under the bonnet of any of my cars.
That would be a risk you would have to decide to take yourself. We still have people here in the UK who fit a 2.0l Turbo engine to a Corsa, and drive and insure it like it's still a 1.2

Matt

Administrator
Over here if you were to get caught, you'd loose the car and have it crushed as it would be fraudulently insured, and thus not insured, so they'd take it off you.

guy 27

In the event of a crash (regardless of who is at fault) your insurance won't cover anything. Should you injure property /someone in a crash you could see jail time if you can't cover the costs.
If you get pulled over and checked your car will be defected and will need to be towed till its sorted and also you will cop a huge fine.
Not worth it at all. Do it by the books.

ashley25

In the event of a crash (regardless of who is at fault) your insurance won't cover anything. Should you injure property /someone in a crash you could see jail time if you can't cover the costs.
If you get pulled over and checked your car will be defected and will need to be towed till its sorted and also you will cop a huge fine.
Not worth it at all. Do it by the books.

Good point mate maybe something else then

ashley25

I mean one of a kind here in sa. Most of the people around here (sa) dont really like vectras there more into there fords and commodores.