New 2.2 owner, few issues...

*Nick*

Hi all, my first post so sorry for it being a long one!

I've got a Signum 2.2 Direct (Z22YH) 53 plate. Which i've had for a few months and done a bit of work on (new back boxes, FPR, Fuel pressure sensor, coolant temp sensor, new battery etc etc)
and it's costing me a fortune!

Now it's got a few of issues I hope you can help with, firstly battery discharge. It's had a new battery about 4 months back, yet twice within the past week it's been dead. Granted it does lots of short journeys and it's cold but I wouldn't expect this. Had opcom on it and it's about 12v when off and 14v when running, so it seems to be charging just fine. I've also noticed that the headlight brightness fluctuates if you rev the engine, and the same for the backlight on the in car display?

the next issue is MPG, it averages about 24mpg on mixed journeys (22mpg on short ones!) and i'm lucky to see above 31mpg on a long motorway run at 70mph!
It had a full service including chain less that 5,000 miles ago so filters should be ok etc. It does use a fair bit of oil too if that gives any clues?
Opcom hasn't told me much although the 2nd O2 sensor is constantly reading high, the 1st sensor flicks between rich\lean which i believe is right with the exhaust gas pulses?

IDI AMIN

Battery draining sounds like a dodgy alternator or maybe a loose fan belt and heavy oil use could be worn valve stem seals

Last edited:

*Nick*

I did have mk1 fiesta with a dodgy alternator which had a duff diode? apparently if it stopped at a certain point, on that particular diode, it would drain it.

Might have to look around for a replacement!