MID RANGE POWER LOSS

george

Chain was OK but don't know if chain jumped? No valves replaced. No piston damage reported. dunno.. dunno..

vocky

Staff
to cause damage to the pistons the valves will bend and the engine would have no compression :(

so doesn't sound like your problem, but it could be a possibility notsure.gif

a compression test would rule it out pretty quickly :)

george

Plenty of torque on acceleration below 3000rpm in each gear, even in 5th from 30 mph, so compression must be ok, it's just when over 3000rpm engine is flat. On longer runs on motorway (20miles plus) the engine plays up with jerky running when cruising. Engine stalls on slip road exit which have put down to smoking that chokes engine. Starts up again straight away, emits smoke then seems flat with jerky running. notsure.gif

When starting from cold emits smoke for 100 yards then runs smoothly with plenty of torque upto 3000rpm in each gear. It's when the engine gets hot it deteriorates. Temp gauge fairly constant at 80+ but occasionally moves up briefly to 100-on motorway but falls back presumably when thermostat kicks in. :?

Still have to fix egr blanking plate. Managed to loosen egr 13mm bolt with ring spanner but it took a lot of force on bolt nearest engine, was a bit worried head would shear off. :roll:

vocky

Staff
that bolt can be very tight :roll:

get the blanking plate fitted, then we can see what happens dunno..

george

yep! that bolt was so tight i'm pretty sure it hadn't been undone ever since car was built so this certainly makes me think head was never fully stripped down, pressure checked and skimmed as I was led to believe (and paid for). :evil:

george

Well its a month on and finally blanked off the EGR valve 2 weeks ago with the following results:-
1- engine has stopped missing and stopped stalling, put this down to smoking exhaust not being recirculated and chocking engine.
2- about a 10% reduction in fuel economy but well worth it to have a drivable motor. cheers.. cheers.. Vocky
Also, the long term internal water loss, reason never diagnosed, cured by using a seal up additive. :) :) Now 1 month without having to top up.
This leaves the smoking problem. Heavy smoking on cold start up and first 100 yards then after engine overrun after breaking on engine especially after down hill run. Can go for periods when not smoking much if revs kept below 3000rpm. Accelerating above 3500rpm leaves plume of smoke :oops: :evil: :evil:
So suspect valve stem oil seals. Engine fairly smooth when cold but diesely sounding when hot. So what next Vocky?? notsure.gif notsure.gif

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Definately valve stem seals for the smoking. Reading this reminds me of an Astra that I used to have. It was exactly the same with the smoking on start up and backing off the throttle.

george

So what is best way to replace valve stem oil seals - head off or special tool method for holding valves in place without head removal? Presumably 2nd method cheaper and quicker saving on head gaskets and time? notsure.gif notsure.gif

Has anyone tried 2nd method? Is it a special vauxhall tool? dunno..

vocky

Staff
it would be cheaper to replace them with the head in place, but finding someone to do it is the hard bit notsure.gif