Knocking noise

MattP

Hi,

Not sure what forum section to put this one under.

When my Veccie was about 12 months old I started to get a knocking noise from the front, not often and not loud, just every now and then. When it was in for it's service I asked the Vauxhall garage to check it and no fault found. This went on and the knocking got worse to the point I started to experience bad over steer (tyres were not bald). So back into Vauxhall and the car was only just out of warranty, what do you know Vauxhall found my front anti-roll bar bushes were worn, "Known Problem" apparently but as my warranty expired I had to pay, even though I argued that this had beeen going on for 24 months (on and off).

Anyhow new bushes and all sorted.

I've now started to get a knocking noise from the back of the car, more noticable if I go over a bump whilst going round a gentle right bend, there is such a bend on my way out of the company car park so I hear it most evenings.

So am I likely to be looking at rear anti-roll bar bushes or are the shocks shot or is the back end about to fall off?

The noise seems to die off after a few minutes driving, I checked the exhaust mounts and they are all ok.

Anyway any thoughts on this ? Anyone else experienced early failure of the front bushes ?

MattP

MattP

Thanks Vocky

They're probably the cheapest option so may as well replace them.

I'll let you all know if this does fix the problem.

MattP

MattP

So I'm probably better off jacking the car up and having a look underneath, at the weekend, before buying the parts ? shrug..

MattP

vocky

Staff
I've just got back indoors after re-tightening the passenger side rear anti-roll bar bolt yet again :evil:

think I need to buy a new nut for it :LOL:

it causes a slight knock going over bumps, sounds like the exhaust is banging - took me months to figure it out :LOL:

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I had a tie-rod go on the front of my old Cavalier once. It sounded horrible. It have to have the wheels off the floor to see it clearly if it was broken.

I apologise for the crudeness of my sketch below.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_58_tierod_1.jpg

MattP

petes21st said:
u sure its not just the exhaust heat shield

not sure, noise is def coming from the back of the car and only when my rear wheels go over a bump.

Lets hope it's not raining on Saturday :(

MattP

petes21st

the heat shelid has two rear bolts which tend to get rusty very quickly, its probably that. happend to me and it sounds the same

p.s please rate my car

joey

Rear anti roll bar bushes are rubber (fitted dry and not ludricated by vauxhall) and the with time wear away the plastic coating on the bar, thus givving the impression that only the bushes are gone... besides it`s a good exscuse to fit a larger diam` bar. At our garage we normaly use rubber grease when assembling a new ARB.

MattP

Ok so it's been a while and eventually I go the car to my local VX dealer to have a look at.

So it's up on the lift and they can find absolutely nothing wrong, all bushes look ok, shocks ok, heat shield not rattling, they're shaking the wheels to look for play, nothing.

So we go out on a test drive, it had been knocking badly on the way there, and guess what, didn't knock once whilst out with the VX tecnician (sods law).

So back up on the ramp for one last look and he can't see anything wrong.

So the only thing he can think is that it may be the exhaust joint near the back box, as the knocking goes after short while and doesn't seem to come back at all until the car has been parked up for a few hours but it's not blowing and the joint does seem ok.

So I'm stumped, apart from going out and replacing every bit of rubber or ball joint at the back I don't know what else it can be ?

Could the shocks be at fault here ? not sure if they are oil or gas, what did VX fit as standard ?

MattP

MattP

Thanks Vocky,

slightly worrying as the technician that was looking at the car said they were oil notsure.gif

I haven't replaced the rear anti roll bushes yet, again when up on the ramps they said they appeared to be ok and there was no movement but I guess I can change them anyway.

Due to other engine problems the car is booked into my local VX garage for tomorrow, so might ask them to change them anyway.

Damn car, trouble free motoring for 4.5 years then loads of problems all in one go.

MattP