Just found out some good news for sand cast heads (egr)

slindborg

Having not looked at the SAAB head since recieveing it as I had a kitchen to fit I didnt notice till today that its NOT got a EGR casting AT ALL :D w00t no need to blank the hole

Oh and should you get a lost foam head from the US they dont have EGR take offs either (till 2007MY)

thought I'd share that with you folks.

vocky

Staff
depending on which direction I take with my next power hike phase I might have to get a sandcast head dunno..

but thats some good news anyway :)

slindborg

fleabay.... got it properly cheap as the woman just wanted rid of it.. came fully built even with cams lol. but they will be going etc.
There arent any 1.8 or 2.0turbo heads on there at the moment, I keep an eye out all the time now.

part of the ad with extra info there
"Saab Cylinder Head for sale for a Saab 93 model year 2005 1.8 petrol turbo engine. This Cylinder head will also fit a B207E and a B207L engine"

exmantaa

Or you just buy a complete LSJ from fleabay..... :D

I picked it up last week and besides the missing ECU & alternator (I knew that) it looks very, very decent with every sensor on it. (2004 engine) Even the engine wire harness...
Had no time to look to it in detail, but have to decide what to do. Use the parts for my 2,2 => SC Z22. Or fully build the LSJ and swap... Must to find a suitable Ecu solution then (in VX220 /Speedster)

edbutler

slindborg said:
Having not looked at the SAAB head since recieveing it as I had a kitchen to fit I didnt notice till today that its NOT got a EGR casting AT ALL :D w00t no need to blank the hole

Oh and should you get a lost foam head from the US they dont have EGR take offs either (till 2007MY)

thought I'd share that with you folks.

Does that mean that if we get a US head, we need an EGR cheater also? Does this mean we can physically remove all the EGR gubbins...?

I say this as i have a Patriot Stage 2 CNC'd head winging its way over as we speak :D

slindborg

you will need the egr cheater as the ECU will still be expecting to see the valve, but everything else can fark orf.

It certainly appears from the cobalt forum I use that only the very latest 2.2 (this years model) has an EGR valve.

exmantaa

Dismantled my LSJ (= Saab head) yesterday and although the LSJ exh. manifold had an EGR channel, the head indeed has no EGR system there. :)

But as said in a different post, I was surprised to see the small dimensions of the exhaust ports. The inlets seems normal size for a 2.0, but the exhaust ports are really tiny. (Gasket has several mm's "headmeat" around.) Has the Z22 head the same small exh. ports??

Porting seems mandatory here for some decent horsepower. What is the experience with this? (Vocky? I remember Dude worked a lot with Saab heads)

exmantaa

Pic of the non-EGR Saab exh. port.
Just noiticed the "side ports" next o the exhaust port. Where are these good for? And is this Saab only, or also on the Z22??

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_1239_exh_port_EGR_2.jpg

vocky

Staff
open the exhaust ports to the gasket line cheers..

the two holes were for a secondary air pump system like the x20xe engine, but it never was fitted :?