Is the Vectra LS rear suspension same as 150 SRI?

150_sri

Hi Guys,

I need to replace the complete N/S rear suspension unit as i have an annoying tapping/knocking noise when going over pot holes.

Replaced the 4 rose bushes and front, rear trailing arm bushes however problem still there so going to swap out the unit for a salvaged one.

I have got this from a 1.8 16v LS.

Mine is a 2.2 16v SRI 150.

Is the rear shock absorber and spring the same on the LS as it is on my SRI?

It all appears to look the same.

Cheers,

vocky

Staff
the LS will fit but compare the piston size and if it's smaller do not fit it

the shocks have bigger pistons on the vectra B facelift sri suspension, plus they are gas filled.

150_sri

The LS shock absorber say SACHS on it, does that help with identifying if it is the same as my SRI?

My SRI is a 2001/Y reg and the car i got the suspension from is a 2001/51 plate LS vectra

vocky

Staff
sachs are fitted to the sri, so check the diameter of the piston - the shiny rod sticking out of the shock absorber body, if it's the same diameter then it should be ok

150_sri

Ok, as i say there is a knocking noise as if somethings loose and tapping when going over small pot holes. I have replaced all rubbers that are common to go. the Shocks are fine on the car, so i am thinking it must be the rubber at the top of the rear suspension strut that has gone?

Is this rubber a common fault you have heard of before?

Theres not much else it can be, the sound is like you have a parcel shelf that is loose and rattles around when you go over holes in the road. Its not loud, more of a hollow anoying noise.

vocky

Staff
having driven over 250,000miles in many vectra B's I would check the rose joints first, anti-rollbar bushes and droplinks next and finally the wheel bearings

150_sri

All 4 rose bushes were replaced recently and made no difference.

The noise is coming distinctly from the N/S rear. O/S rear is fine with no noise.

When both wheels go up a bump, for example a speed bump, there is no noise at all.

However if i am driving down a country road where the Left hand side is lower than the middle of the road and uneven, so that n/s back whel is constantly going up and down the un-evenness of the road, that is when the noise comes and is constant.

However, another test that i did was to have 3 adults in the back of the car. Miraculously, there is no noise when the back of the car is weighed down which is very odd.

I can only think that a rubber has gone at the top of the suspension or something is loose.

Based on the info above can you pin point what might be the problem?

Cheers for all your help.

BURT150

As said have a look at your ARB drop links. also have a look at the condition of the shoes inside the disc. something might be rattling around in it dunno..

If you jack the rear up and pull and push on the strutt that should give you an indication of it knocking (y)

vocky

Staff
I would certainly check the top mount and then the arb drop links, a nut on my sri150 kept coming loose and made a knocking noise, also the exhaust backbox can bang on the underside of the car

vocky

Staff
on mine it was the bracket holding the lefthand arb bush in place, just has a single nut - which kept coming undone, so I fitted a brand new nut which cured it

also it could still be the shock absorber itself causing the knocking noise

NICKYB

might sound silly but if you have a SRI 150 and still have a OE letterbox backbox on there, the internal twin sleeves come loose and rattle, check this when cold and pinch the centre (were they join) and try pulling & pushing, other than that if not done already i would check the nuts on the struts!

150_sri

Yeah it has a square letterbox exhaust but thats fine, no rattles.

I think that the very top bolt on top of the strut might be loose that holds the shock in.

This problem has been there fore a long time now probably 2 years! Just never done anything about it, just turn the radio up :)

But though its about time i sorted it, so hopefully once i swap out the strut, spring and shock all will be resolved.

Where are the arb drop links on the car?

cavaddict

On mine, the front of the letterbox exhaust was actually catching the bottom of the rear spring. And this was a standard car with standard bits!! Never did fathom it....just changed the complete system lol!

MikeS

Former Staff
they made different types of letterboxes though

i am sure one was for an estate due to it being a different bumper

150_sri

Problem solved.

It was actually these 2 'D' shaped rubbers on the rear suspension bar. 1 each side.

Cost £2.93 each from Vauxhall :)

Noise has completely gone now.

Not sure what these rubbers are called, but they rap around this bar and are 'D ' shaped secured by one nut and bolt.