Is it safe 2.2direct with Nitrous

scotty84

Ok as above.....

Got a mate with a vxr who has had Nitrous oxide fitted and with fantastic results (400bhp :vxr: :clap: )
Well ive had a quick read up on wizards of NOS and some google results about direct injection cars and the 2.2 16v using Nitrous. From what ive read if used/fitted correctly it should be fine. Im planning on only going to a max of 50-70hp kit, maybe start with a 50hp and see how it goes. I have looked at every other way eg/ remaps but nobody seems to want to touch it lol. A 70hp kit will cost me around £950-£1100 fitted.
My car is low mileage and very looked after so have no issues engine/gearbox wise.
So a few questions:
1. Am I mad?
2. Will my auto/triptronic box/clutch handle it? (I read that the stock clutch is good for 250bhp)
3. Has it been done before?

I will be in contact with wizards of Nos over the next week to see what there thoughts are, but at the end of the day they will more than likely say yes as its buisness lol.

rushy

Spoons uses his car as a track car plus some normal driving and uses his Fiat 500 around town. His VXR has uprated clutch, Diff, cooling, Turbo and many other things and sits at 330-340 without Nos. Nos is more of a quick fix, for short bursts (Thunder Road for example), so unless your thinking of using the car for 0-60 runs I wouldn't bother TBH. With that £1100 fitted why not look at some other mods like a Manifold, cams and the like, or even better, sell the car and with that extra grand buy a 2.0T, and map that to a very safe and constant 200+

Matt

Administrator
There is a video on YouTube of a us 2.2 running nitros on the drag strip. It literally blows the plastic intake manifold to bits!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

scotty84

I did think why has nobody done it before, thats why I was asking "is it safe" lol. Spoons was at mine most of yesterday and we was talking about it and tbh it would be a "bit of fun" mod, So a waste of money as I dont track day etc.
I was going to go the 2.0T route but feel like all the time/money etc on this car would be wasted. I think I should get a 2.8T and just get it over with.....

si.c1978

i think this may be the video in question, :LOL:
looks like a massive fore fire????
sureley nos isnt that heavily pressurised???

rushy

I think the YH manifold is metal, could be wrong though?
Where does the mixture go in, just after the tb or just before the head, remembering the YH manifold has 8 runners and swirl flaps?
Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia using Tapatalk

scotty84

The mixture is injected in the air feed pipe before the throttle body.
The system I was looking at sprays 2 parts nitrous to 1 part fuel. So you have a N20 injector and an extra fuel injector. When activated it mixes the N2o and fuel then spray it into the intake pipe. I am told this is the "playing safe method".

Maverick

You have to bare in mind that Spoons is trying to talk everyone into it. Even me, but I would rather spend that £1100 on cams. But don't forget that it's about £50 £60 to fill the bottle each time.