Z22YH How to remove inlet manifold

Hello,

I have tried searching but alas no joy.

I would be very grateful for a link or steps to remove the inlet manifold on a Z22YH please.

I think the swirl bar or a flap maybe sticking although the bar does move when the engine starts and I can gently push the bar towards the drivers side. However when trying pick up speed I get the change of inlet air induction drone noise but the engine pick up isn't great.

Desired Fuel Pressure and actual fuel pressure are spot on according to Op Com, as are throttle signals etc

Also I'm guessing the knock sensor lives under the inlet manifold? No MIL or spanner light but Op Com says knock sensor is inactive????

And I think the rear O2 sensor is playing up. Op Com shows it inactive at idle and inactive at steady 3000rpm

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

20vt

Hi, i've removed my Inlet Manifold recently and wasn't too dificult.

I had to remove the Bumper, Radiator and alternator.

I'll upload the picture of my Inlet Manifold so you can see where the bolts are located.

Think there is around 10 towards the front that you can see, and 1 towards the bottom

20141031_102150.jpg
20141031_102150.jpg
20141031_102207.jpg

Last edited:

20vt

Thanks.
How tricky to remove the alternator?
Is it a case of taking tension off the belt, removing belt then the bolts holding alternator?

It's not hard, once the bumper and radiator are out the way it's easy.

I just loosend the 4 bolts on the alternator, which allowed the alternator to move enough to take belt off.

rushy

The final bolt for the manifold is hard to get without removing the rad/bumper.

My car is a Facelift vectra C, think it's the same as a Facelift Signum.
Yup, the cars are identical from the b pillar forward.

20vt Whats that huge round hole with a gasket, is the where the EGR vents? Its much smaller on the SE, it looks almost the size of the TB hole in the pic.

20vt

Yup, the cars are identical from the b pillar forward.

20vt Whats that huge round hole with a gasket, is the where the EGR vents? Its much smaller on the SE, it looks almost the size of the TB hole in the pic.

Yea, thats where my TB was. I was surprised it was there as well.

Well, inlet removed, de-flapped, M8 bolts sealed in lieu of the flap bush/bearing. No error messages...lets see how the commute to work goes this evening.

I didn't fully remove the alternator...just slid it forward enough to allow the inlet manifold to pass.
Slim 1/4 inch ratchet to lift the belt tensioner.

The bottom bolt was crossed threaded on the manifold. Much easier to remove the bottom bracket.

I removed the brake servo hose from the servo rather than risk breaking the push fitting on the manifold.

How to remove non EGR manifold (at your own risk exercise safe practice and judgement etc etc) :

1) Remove battery and engine cover
2) Remove air box and inlet pipe work. Remove servo vacuum hose from servo and unclip from various supports
3) Support engine and remove top engine mount to give easier access to serpentine belt tensioner. Use 1/4" ratchet drive to lift tensioner
4) Remove belt from alternator and the 4 bolts holding alternator to block
5) Slide alternator as far forward as possible
6) Remove 13mm bolt that holds inlet manifold bottom holding bracket to engine block. Remove engine breather and hoses from inlet and cam cover.
7) Disconnect and remove throttle body.Disconnect ECU wiring (gently pull the black plastic clip backwards as you lift the metal clip forward) 10mm bolt for earth lead.
8) Remove ECU ( 3 x 10 mm bolts) and 10mm bolt holding oil dipstick tube to manifold (remove dipstick from tube too)
9) Remove fuel vapour hose from inlet manifold and the other end with the green release clips, unclip vapour valve body from bracket and position out of the way. Disconnect the swirl flap wiring connector that is next to the vapour valve
10) Remove the uppermost small coolant hose from header tank and the 10mm bolt holding it to support bracket. Postion out of the way.
11) Remove 2 x 10mm nuts holding loom tray in position, this allows some more movement/room
12) Remove Fuel pressure regulator, no need to remove wiring, just position out the way.
13) Remove MAP sensor (10mm bolt) then disconnect wiring plug.
14) Disconnect various clips/cable ties holding wires and multi connector blocks to inlet manifold. Check all sensors and connectors are removed and out the way
15) Remove 2 x 10mm nuts and the 10mm bolts from mating face of inlet manifold
16) Carefully wiggle dipstick tube out of the way as lifting manifold clear

Refitting pretty much the reverse.

Last edited: