how to remove engine

sdbutler10

as above really whats the best way to take the engine out?
do i take it out with g/box or shall i leave that in the bay.
is there anything i have to remove like inlet manifold or exhaust manifold?
any help would be greatful.
thanks scott

vocky

Staff
it's probably easier to drop the engine and box out together, I usually remove the inlet, exhaust etc so not to damage anything

fred61

i have changed engins in vectrea 1.8 twice, astra disel 1.7 turbo and more recent 2.2 zafira in all cases i have removed all manifolds and engin mounts and lifted the blockout the top you need to undo the gearbox mounts so the box can be shoved over to allow the clutch to clear have fun!!!

ecky1972

fred61 said:
i have changed engins in vectrea 1.8 twice, astra disel 1.7 turbo and more recent 2.2 zafira in all cases i have removed all manifolds and engin mounts and lifted the blockout the top you need to undo the gearbox mounts so the box can be shoved over to allow the clutch to clear have fun!!!
do you still need to pop the driveshafts or leave them in

fred61

if you are carefull with a jack under the box you do not need to remove the drive shafts
i am not saying this is an easy job but it is a lot quiker than the book (it can be a wrestling match but it works)

ecky1972

fred61 said:
if you are carefull with a jack under the box you do not need to remove the drive shafts
i am not saying this is an easy job but it is a lot quiker than the book (it can be a wrestling match but it works)
cheers

sdbutler10

Sjdickso said:
You planing a big rebuild Scott? or is somthing new been dropped in?

in the summer i am going to get rid of the balancer shafts have new chains and new clutch and lightened fly wheel.
i would like the postions and rods but i dont want to spend that much and i will never get the power out for this to justify for them.
i am going to take it out through the top as i have the crain at work and hoists as well.

fred61

no not a nightmare job but its not a walk in the park it is very much easyer than droping it through the bottom as the book says

P

philastrastd

i removed and refitted an engine while leaving the box in today . was very tight the clutch presssure plate touched the gear box and the end of the oil pump touched the chassis leg but with gentle wiggleing it droped in was nice not removing the gbox as that usually means gbox oil everywhere . oh and remove the crank pulley or it wont come out . or for even more space take off the oil pump and cover it up recon it would slip in nicely like that

phil

P

philastrastd

its a big flat looking type plate on the side of the engine . you need to remove a 13mm bolt and then around 9-10 10mm oh bolts and the crank pulley aswell
phil

Nitronick

Auto engines are even easier! 3 bolts hold the torque converter on and away you go! The auto fly wheel is only about 20-30 mm so very little jiggling needed to pop the lump.

When I pulled mine I had the head off already but when I fitted it the head was on. Left exhaust manifold in the bay just canle tied it back so it didnt interfer with the lump going in. Intake came off and out as only a few bolts. With the intake off easier to get to the wiring for starter etc as well meaning the loom can just be left to one side.