How tight to do up my piper manifold

goatboy

I put my new piper manifold on my VX220 at the weekend and intially it was leaking a bit so I tightened it up whilst hot and seemingly got a good seal but I was worried I tightened it up too much. is that possible?
TIS says use 12nm which is nothing but I can't get my torque wrench in as access is sooo limited.
I just used a standard spanner and did it up pretty tight (didn't go mental and it was only a short spanner 15-20cm I would guess).
I don't want to run the risk of never getting it off again it snapping the studs if I do.
thought I would check to see if it was advisable to back them off a bit before i fit the heatshield...

Thanks! cheers..
(and yes I am completely useless at this kind of thing but I'm learning fast! :confused: )

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Don't panic!! I was worried about this issue but I've been assured by Garry from Piper and also Jon Shield (Director Courtenay Sport) that the flange does normalize once its been heated up a few times. Maybe worth leaving it as it is for a week, drive it as normal and then let it off again after a weeks worth of driving.

It'll be fine mate.

;-)

MikeS

Former Staff
tighten it up as much as poss with spanner then when heated up go around again and tighten up cos u gonna get tapping sounds as a result of air leaks

goatboy

great, thats a relief then. :clap:
Thanks for your help with any luck I might actually get to drive it this weekend... (y)