How do I

identiti66

If you fine sand the LED's it diffuses the light creating a softer effect.. found it better to use flat top ones with 100 degree viewing angle though.

identiti66

No worries man, it's a trick I picked up a dozen or so years ago before we had flat top and wide angle LED's to eliminate bright spots associated with a 30 degree viewing angle.

Daz86

Dave was it a Plcc-2 bulb you used. As planning to twak my clock display as I think it looks poop:ROFLMAO:
I came across a seller on eBay who sells pre fitted bulbs in equipment
Any way contacted him to pic his brains and he's told me he used these LEDs

Dave Gilbert

Plcc2 for most things in a vectra. Iv ended up sending my clocks to a mate

sounded to complex for me iv done the stereo, heaters, window switches, steering wheel controls 20151104_173415.jpg

Dave Gilbert

Yeh they only work 1 way.

i got a key fob battery and 2 pieces of wire to test each 1 before and after fitting.

it helped me loads. But ghe plcc2 have a little corner cut out so u can see which way they go on.

Johnss

Code:
In electronics, a diode is a two-terminal electronic component that conducts primarily in one direction
All "light emitting diodes" have mark on them to indicate the poles.
On the leds with leads, longer one is positive.
Most of smd leds have visible marks, like this to show right direction.
awww.ictradenet.com_models_pic_SML_LX1206IW_TR_SML_LX1206SRW_TR_SML_LX1206GW_TR.jpg

Dave Gilbert

Yeh there the 0802s which are on my stereo.

but the original 1s on the stereo look totally different.

so making sure which way to fit is allways good.

i checked everyone on mine lol

Johnss

Yep. I used black marker on the plate to mark poles before soldering off old leds.
Pro-tip: You can use digital multi-tester in "diode mode" to determinate the poles. LED will light up as you connect to it right.
awww.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk_media_wysiwyg_MM_Multimeters_Jenna_MM17_MM_17_2.jpg

Johnss

Well, You might have gotten a spoilage. Anyway it's always good to check the led if it works at all.
I even can tell poles by looking at the led chip.;)

Dave Gilbert

Iv got electrical tester but havnt got a clue how to use it lol. So now i know how to teat leds with it thanks for that hahaha.

better than a battery, 2 lengths of wire n electrical tape lol

identiti66

Well, You might have gotten a spoilage. Anyway it's always good to check the led if it works at all.
I even can tell poles by looking at the led chip.;)

Used to buy direct from the manufacturer, there were a few times a whole batch (I bought 1000, at least, of a colour at a time) came through with the long leg reversed and a few others when both legs were the same length. All good fun.
The non-smd ones I can tell polarity by looking but the SMD ones (unless they're the bigger ones), not even looked.. I have a jewellers loupe now though so perhaps I could try.

Daz86

Thanks guys.. I've orderd 50 smd and 30 resistors. I only need 2 of each so I can se me fitting them every where if all goes good :) I'll keep yo all informed with my progress lol and I'll post a pic of them when they arrive

Daz86

My LEDs have arrived but haven't got a clue how to conect wires to them hehe there not like in the picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 154

Johnss

That is the package. Look on other side. There are transparent plastic cover, remove it and you will get the smd leds out :)