Help Please EGR Cheater

Stu08

Hi Everyone,

Had running issues with my car, lumpy idle and feels slightly sluggish.

Just purchased an EGR cheater. Is there anyone near Oxford (prepared to travel), who can fit this?

Bearing in mind I have absolutely no skills with spanners and would manage to cock this up!

Stu.

Stu08

Thanks Matt.

Just a quick query though, in the photo of the EGR cheater it shows loose wires coming from the plug. Doesn't this require some cutting and soldering of wires to attach the EGR cheater?

..................Or am I being thick? Lol.

Matt

Administrator
No, that photo is purely for reference purposes. All you get is the cheater, the plug in the picture is what you will be plugging it into on your car.

Stu08

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Right, now I get you. Lol

It's been a long day at work! I'll crawl back under my rock haha.

Thanks again for your time Matt.

Stu08

It arrived today! Thanks for the speedy delivery.

When I fit this do I need to wrap it or secure it to stop the cheater from falling out of the plug?

Stu08

Thanks for all the help so far guys. One last question......

Is the EGR valve as easy to remove as it looks? Remove 2 bolts, fit blanking plate using the same 2 bolts. Attach EGR cheater to plug and wrap in electrical tape.

Are there any other pipes leading to the engine which require removing, blanking etc? Again this is on a Vectra C.

Sorry for all the questions, not very experienced with car DIY.

wils978

I'll be doing mine very soon as soon as I get my cheater and blanking plate. I'll do a technical step by step guide for you if you wish. It really is easy just removing a few clips may be a bit tricky but you will be fine doing it. You'll kick yourself when you do it as you'll see how easy it is :)

Matt

Administrator
Which blanking plate do I need? Is it the same for all Z22SE engine applications? Mine is a Vectra C.
Yes they are all the same on the Z22SE. I'm having a few issues getting to VX to pick up a new batch due to work and home commitments. Monday I'll be able to go and get some more to add to the shop stock.

rushy

Thanks for all the help so far guys. One last question......

Is the EGR valve as easy to remove as it looks? Remove 2 bolts, fit blanking plate using the same 2 bolts. Attach EGR cheater to plug and wrap in electrical tape.

Are there any other pipes leading to the engine which require removing, blanking etc? Again this is on a Vectra C.

Sorry for all the questions, not very experienced with car DIY.

Yes as easy as it looks mate, just make sure the mating surface is nice and clean. If you go ahead and fit the 2.4 manifold you can ditch the pipe from the corner of the head to the manifold. you can still remove it still now but you'll have to blank the hole it leaves, there is a sort of how 2 using a VW part number.

Stu08

Thank-you to everyone who has replied to this thread. A technical how 2 will be a good idea. I should be doing mine next week, managed to find a blanking plate at my local VX. Rushy, I'll be having a 2.4 inlet fitted in the future so will look at removing that pipe and blanking it. Thanks for the heads up!

Stu08

Right. It really was as simple as it looked! Lol

Took my mate literally 5 minutes to whip off the EGR valve, fit blanking plate, cheater and wrap it all up in electrical tape. He then cable tied the plug out of the way.

Engine started, no EML.....happy days!

Thanks to everyone who replied and thanks to Vocky for the cheater!

Stu08

Driven the car home.

All I can say is wow! Either it's a placebo effect or the EGR valve is a pile of junk which muted the responsiveness of the engine!

Much more responsive now, accelerates harder and feels more free revving! Is this a normal effect of removing the EGR?!