Giving my vec c some tlc

graeme

I am looking at using an engine flush on my vectra c. the engines just covered 70k and hasnt been done before. I know this could push crap through the oil lines and clog the sprayers but is it something worth me doing? Would it be more doable using 2 flushes or doing a couple of changes of oil first?
I feel the cars fuel consumption and responsiveness getting a wee but worseand just want to give the engine some TLC as it looks like i'll be keeping the car for a few more years.
Also i read that the fuel filter should be changed every 40k (mines hasnt) so will need to do that but is there anything else like spark plugs, coil pack that i should look to do? I am complete novice with hands on mechanics but have a few how to's i aim to follow and have brother in law on stand by to bail me out!

blue se2

The filter is fearly cheap anyway so you may as well change it . As for the engine flush I would not recomend it TBH there will be 70000 miles worth of particles maybe sealing little leaks and if you flush them away you could cause all sorts os oil leaks or other problems. Just use some good quality oil and change regularly and you will be fine

MikeS

Former Staff
agreed

i would only engine flush if i have had head gasket failure and there is s**te everywhere but even still i wouldnt do it

as wot bluese2 said, it will most probably cause oil leaks on seals and gaskets

graeme

thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a miss then. I never thought of possible leaks. think i will have a bash at an oil change next weekend when i'm off. Will get a fuel filter as well. thinking of changing the oil every 6000 miles and just using gm fully synthetic oil

Cheers again

Matt

Administrator
graeme said:
thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a miss then. I never thought of possible leaks. think i will have a bash at an oil change next weekend when i'm off. Will get a fuel filter as well. thinking of changing the oil every 6000 miles and just using gm fully synthetic oil

Cheers again

I took my first car for a service years ago (MK3 1.1 Fiesta) and that had done over 80k miles. The bloke flushed the engine oil, and caused about 6 small oil leaks all over the place.

MikeS

Former Staff
just chuck some cheap oil in and run it for a few minutes then take out and put some decent stuff