Exhaust options.. Z22SE Vec B

identiti66

I've come to the conclusion that my manifold probably isn't blowing. No fuel smell, the noise seems further down and performance/mpg are still good.

So my guess is the on the front pipe somewhere (flexi seems a fair bet).

It's not so bad as to need doing urgently so I'm considering options.

Since I like the Irmscher backbox, I was thinking a standard front pipe/cat (with no pre-cat), custom centre section (would a 2.5" work in there?) with a small middle box, no raspy race pipe for me, connected to the original backbox (which does need some minor welding on a bracket or 2 and the loose rattly bits in the tailpipe - currently not rattling courtesy of a self-tapping screw).

Anyone see any flaws in that?

Or should I just replace the front/cat and hold out for a cat-back system?

identiti66

Or... as long as it is the flexi... might it be cost effective just to have a new one welded in?

I wanted to drop the front pipe to check whether the pre-cat is there (and get that sucker gone, if it is), getting the front up in the air is a bit problematic out the front of the house, hence I've been putting it off a bit.
Can't seem to get an answer from sellers of front pipes (on ebay) on the details of the flexi.. whether it's lined, how long it is, that kinda thing so I'm not sure about that option any more.

corsaZ22se

I have a remus cat back system here in oxford, twin 3" round tail pipes. both types of centre section with and with out silencers. £80 collection only from oxford.