engine problem?

xinitialz

ok so i drive a 2002 astra coupe 2.2 and today after a 70km drive i parked my car and when i had it on tickover i was grabbing my stuff. then i suddenly felt the car was running REALLY rough, and i noticed my electronical engine cooling light came on and when i put my foot back on the gas it felt horrible ! exhaust was making weird noise too but thats prolly cuz the engine was going nuts dunno..
anyways i shut the engine off and restarted and everything was fine. everything else is okay, the engine temp was alright, i checked oil, i checked cooling fluid, i checked that lil electronical engine cooling thingie behind bumper(http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/904/koelingqm0.jpg) for plugs that may have come loose but it was fine too.

now i just came back from the store and car ran fine, it drove perfectly, no problems at traffic lights or anything but when i came home and when parking at low rpms/tickover it started to do it again. this time no light came on, and i noticed car was running at around 1100rpm so i popped my hood to listen. then i stepped on my throttle to up revs and once that happened it was gone. restarted and again fine.

any1 got any idea's? im guna take it to dealer to tech2 it for fault codes this week... but now im afraid to drive it !
im thinking (and HOPING) that its just the egr. so i can go get a cheater and blanking plate and end it !

but the way it ran reminded me a lil of my mates beemer when it took some water ( basturd filled a keg with diesel from his dads lorry but the keg had some water residue) and thats scaring me.

please all comments are welcome

xinitialz

yesterday i thought by myself: "i havent used a sporty driving style in weeks"

and maybe the problem is some goo thats stuck somewhere in egr... so i decided to go for a ride, let engine warm up and then pull up to limiter a couple of times.
havent had any problems since (y)

hopefully it will stay this way so i can order egr cheater and blanking plate with peace of mind.

i'll keep u guys updated

dodger

Former Staff
lets hope the problem has disppeared, i hate when things like this happen as it doesn't give you much confidence.

xinitialz

im still crossing my fingers but i've done about 100 miles since and it didnt come back !

so well i guess u just need to drive like a boy racer once a week to keep egr working :LOL:

xinitialz

ok lads everything was fine till 2 days ago,then it started to do it whenever engine was starting to warm up. and today it happened all the time even cold.

i had an appointment at the dealer for oil change anyways so i told em to take a look at it, they confirmed it was egr and asked if they could put a new one in(costs + work = 450euro) so i told em to leave it as is and i ordered cheater and blanking plate :LOL:

xinitialz

i reckon it was with oil change, "work" needed to discover it was egr, new egr and install costs

u should have seen their faces when i told em i'd get rid of the egr completely for a tenner lol

xinitialz

still a s**tload of money in my eyes, specially for a new egr who will start failing again next year or so.

i know some1with an mk5 estate astra and he changed egr 3 times in 1.5 year. luckily under warranty cuz he bought the car brand new.
maybe they die faster on a diesel with all that smoke? oh well