Ebay Special Zafira A Auto with 2.2 Z22SE and busted cam chain tensioner

Is this worth fixing

• You make better money wrecking it...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Obersturm

Hi all,

it's Marty here chiming in from Australia.

What a wonderful place you have created with all this knowledge and advise. Well, done everybody involved!!!(y)

We all know the feeling: you browse Ebay and in a spur of the moment you think "hey this is cheap, I'll put a bit in"

This is how I came about this 2003 Zafira:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Z...d=link&campid=5338848546&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

ai.ebayimg.com_00_s_MTIwMFgxNjAw_z_SPQAAMXQUmFSmqqg___57.JPG

It was alledged it had jumped a few teeth on the chain, so i bought this:

ai.ebayimg.com_00_s_MTYwMFgxMjAw_z_CWEAAMXQfvlSmTqq___57.JPG

Yesterday i popped the valve cover and found some plastic bits floating around and some silver and gold shimmering flakes in the oil filter and oil that was drained from the sump:

https://s256.photobucket.com/user/obersturm/library/Opel Zafira?sort=3&page=1

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh195_obersturm_Opel_20Zafira_20140127_190104_zps7ec18b2a.jpg

I have following questions that I was hoping you people could help me with, please:

How can I find out easily if the valves have been bend and is it still viable to fix this engine? The oil filter should have prevented debris to be pumped into the galleries, right?

Do I need to remove the head to check properly for damage?

Do I need to remove the sump to clean it properly of any debris?

Since I am no mechanic and I have only a basic tool kit do I need all those special tools to lock the flywheel ect to fix the engine correctly or are there some make shift tools I can make up myself?

Once it is up and running, is it a good idea to run 15" alloy wheels from an Astra on it?

All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards from OZ

Marty

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
hey marty
if any valves are bent the cam rollers will come free from under the cam (as the valve will be stuck down 5-10mm)
WP_001093.jpg

• the filter should of save any particles going thru the engine unless the filter was black or the paper broken
  • normal routine would require you to remove the head to get a better look if you find the cam rollers loose
  • if any of the guide rails were broken then yes the sump will need to be removed to clean the bits out
  • for changing bent valves you would require a valve spring compressor and a 6mm punch to remove any cracked inlet valve guides that would require replacing
  • i dont see why not as long as there the holden wheels with the 5 stud pattern they should bolt on :) i know my astra came with 16" wheels tho :)
have a look at this thread you will see the steps i took to repair an engine with a snapped chain and 6 bent valves :)
https://z22se.co.uk/threads/cam-chain-fitted-part-1-day-1.24072/

Last edited:

Obersturm

Hey Carl,

no, all of the valve rollers still touch metal to metal. Cross fingers. I shall start further dismantling on the week end and post the progress here.

Thanks heaps, man....

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Hey Carl,

no, all of the valve rollers still touch metal to metal. Cross fingers. I shall start further dismantling on the week end and post the progress here.

Thanks heaps, man....
if you have the cover off
grab each roller with a finger and thumb then wiggle there should only be a little play as there's no oil pressure in the lifters but none should come out in your fingers thats a good 1st sign the valves are ok
the next step would be to fit your new chains with the timing in the right places i can help describe if you need help with the timing aliment

turn the engine by hand to make sure it will rotate thru 2 full turns of the crank
then run the engine with the cover off and coil pack out on the starter to bring up oil pressure and stop cranking when you see oil coating the chain at the top
then next step would be to do a dry compression test looking for 160psi to 220psi on the 4 cylinders
if one or 2 cylinders are low then you will need to do a wet compression test and see if there all up to the same psi reading with a wet test
chances are if its been stood the rings will be dry and you would loose compression down the bore hence doing a wet compression test
if the readings are lower than 60psi then there could well be valve damage

thats the best way i can explain what i would do :)

Last edited:

Obersturm

A person I was in contact with who bought a Zafira at the auction for parts said I could have his engine and auto tranny for $450 so we decided to check it out.
For the money probably worth the gamble, even if we end up using just the head?

As a bonus, it seems the cam chain has been updated recently:

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh195_obersturm_20140311_191021_zps5fba1891.jpg

No one does that for no good reason, hey?

Previous chain was clearly rubbing against oil pump housing:

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh195_obersturm_20140311_191040_zps1a71260f.jpg

We did a compression test and we had 60% leak down. Hopefully is going to get better after running the engine for a bit as it has been sitting for two years.

Called the part people at Bursons for some gaskets. Nothing they stock? WTF right. Called Holden parts people: they have one of the cam cover gaskets for $46 but inlet manifold they have to special order and (hold on tight) cost is $97. WTF?

Might be cheaper to import that stuff from the UK? ;-)

Tonight we are planning to drill out one of the valve cover bolts that someone sheared off bolt all the auxiliaries back on and put the replacement engine in the cradle and hopefully partially fir it back into the car.
See how we go......

Obersturm

Hi all,

Ok, so the exhaust manifold and cam cover, harmonic balancer and belt tensioner are back on.
Is there a secondary gasket on the intake manifold apart from those four O-Ring style individual gaskets? I can't remember if we chucked one out or not?

I'm off to bed now - early start tomorrow as the F1 is in town (y)

Obersturm

Another update.

Got the replacement engine running on the week end, but had a bit of a noise or knock to it. Got worse when we revved it, then sounded almost normal for half a minute and slowly came back.

We suspected a stuck lifter so took it for a quick spin down the road approx. 500m and seized....

Looks like we have to take it out again and take the head of this one and put it on the original bottom end after we rebuild that one, as well.

The crank in the old engine has some scoring marks. Can we get undersized bearings for that?

Where is the best place to buy a complete gasket kit and how much is it normally?

I will try to get some pics up later on.

Not so happy at the moment :(

IDI AMIN

You can buy all the gaskets and chain sets you need from the shop I'm sure @Matt would give you a good price for shipping could be cheaper than buying locally

https://z22se.co.uk/shop/engine/gaskets

ebay may be your best bet. also for your under or over sized bearings that you need

Last edited by a moderator:

Obersturm

Hi all,

has anybody ever removed the oil pan and tried to re-fit the dip stick tube after the pan is back on? I know it sounds stupid, but I can't get the freaking thing to align to fit back into the hole where it belongs? I get it to the fist o-ring and thats it.
Do I have to remove the radiator to get enough wriggle room? This is driving me nuts.....:nailbiting::mad::rage:

Obersturm

Hi boys,

trust me-I greased the c**t out of that bloody thing and twisted my hands in ways that most would think are impossible for humans.
I just can't twist it into the proper angle to slide in.
The spare sump and dip stick I got go in and out no worries - out of the car - different story with the radiator, starter and intake manifold and wiring in the way.....
I just can't seem to get the angle right to slide it back in.
I am contemplating removing the drivers side engine mount to lower or raise the engine to see if i get more clearance that way or failing that just cut the pipe for the dip stick and replace it with tube?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
sounds like it may be bent then if you're finding it that hard ive only ever had trouble removing them

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Hey carlos,

removing wasn't exactly straight forward, either. Had to pull and wriggle like a mad man....
i have found that the indent on the 1st oring when wiggling to get it out bends giving the problem of refitting them i try and get them out buy twisting them and lots of wd40 :)