Courtenay Sport Astra SRi??

M22APW

Trader
jimbob-80 said:
This seems like an interesting project. Just a few questions if you don't mind mate.

1) When bolting on the supercharger kit, what other components need changing? i.e. ECU, Brakes, Cams, engine block, Suspension ect. With regards to the engine though, i would love to here what you intend to keep standard.

In addition to the cost of the supercharger (which has a modified pulley on it) and the inlet manifold (which houses the chargecooler heat exchanger) there are about £1500 worth of additional comonents (plus labour) required to carry out the conversion (including injectors, pulley, pump, charge cooler pre-rad, pipework, airbox, fuelling ECU, spacer plate, additional guide pulley and bracket, spacers for aircon, etc etc) although the engine remains as it left the factory.

The car already has Bilstein B8 dampers and Eibach Springs fitted. Also uprated front bushes and rear anti roll bar. Brakes are 16G uprated fronts and fast road pads, rears are uprated discs and pads too. It has also got a lightweight flywheel and sports clutch. I've concentrated on getting the brakes and handling done first before increasing the performance.

jimbob-80 said:
2) How long will this conversion take? (If it is not done already!) and what will be the final bill be. (If you don't mind me asking!)

From start to finish should take about 7 days to do but I'm having to fit it in and around work plus develop components on the way!! Need a different inlet set up and the top hose has got to be re-routed using something yet to be designed. Final cost will be released when I know what it is.

jimbob-80 said:
3) Finally, why did you choose to supercharge a vauxhall? I used to have a scooby turbo and always wondered what it would have been like with a supercharger! Did you consider any other car?

Looks like your astra could be truly amazing, I hope it turns out like you want!

We chose to supercharge the engine because it was a further development of the GM 2.0 supercharged engine used in the USA plus we have installed many into VX220.

Since I work for Courtenay Sport running a Vauxhall seems to be the right way to go!!

vocky said:
it has a thicker head gasket to lower compression
ecu has a piggy-back added
brakes would need to be 308mm minimum

Correct, although it is a laser cut spacer plate (decompression plate) rather than a thicker head gasket as the spacer plate is run with two head gaskets too. The car has been running on lowered compression for the last six months as I've already done that bit and have been gathering the other required components.

The aftermarket ecu is designed to control the on boost fuelling and is fully mappable

and yes the discs have been upgraded from standard to uprated 308mm with uprated pads.

vocky

Staff
you are doing a fine job on the conversion 8)

exactly how I would go about it too, do a little at a time before the final conversion :D

I did that when fitting my weaponR 4-2-1 manifold to my vec, created the space to allow it to fit before finally fitting it :)

are you going to replace the standard cast exhaust manifold to free up some more bhp dunno..

M22APW

Trader
Sjdickso said:
That looks great.

may i ask what stage your car is currently at? What will your end BHP be?

Should be between 240 - 250bhp when finished

vocky said:

exactly how I would go about it too, do a little at a time before the final conversion :D

I did that when fitting my weaponR 4-2-1 manifold to my vec, created the space to allow it to fit before finally fitting it :)

are you going to replace the standard cast exhaust manifold to free up some more bhp dunno..

Thanks for the great comments. Makes doing the job a whole lot better. Going to stick with the standard cast manifold as its strong, but I have already removed the pre-cat and I will be fabricating a 2.5" downpipe with a sports cat to de-restrict the first part of the exhaust as the car is also running a 2.5" milltek cat back system.

Matt

Administrator
Thats going to be absolutely fantastic. There is some great information in this thready as well, so hope you don't mind, but I'm going to move it to the Tuning section.

TimSri

Thanks for answering my questions mate, I wish i had the cash for that conversion! Could be one of the fastest MK 4s around!

M22APW

Trader
jimbob-80 said:
Thanks for answering my questions mate, I wish i had the cash for that conversion! Could be one of the fastest MK 4s around!
Hoping its going to be one of the quickest 2.2 Astra G's around, especially since I intend to use it on track too. Should surprise a few people.

M22APW

Trader
jimbob-80 said:
Are you a mechanic/technician for Courtney?
I do work for Coutenay Sport, but I'm not a technician but I do get my hands dirty from time to time!

Attachments

• PICT4518.JPG
    PICT4518.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 178
  • PICT3955.JPG
    PICT3955.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 198
  • PICT4506.JPG
    PICT4506.JPG
    866.3 KB · Views: 167
  • PICT4654.JPG
    PICT4654.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 181

Sjdickso

Staff
Will this be the first SC 2.2 astra in the UK?

Also is yours the test vehicle for this conversion for courtenays to then offer as a conversion?

M22APW

Trader
Sjdickso said:
Will this be the first SC 2.2 astra in the UK?

Also is yours the test vehicle for this conversion for courtenays to then offer as a conversion?
Yes (as far as I am aware) and Yes in short, although with regards to test vehicles there are so many VX220's out there with this conversion on that testing is not an issue. We know it works and we know it is reliable. With my car we are developing the conversion and fabricating components to get everything to fit the Astra engine bay, things like where to mount the standard ecu, route for a top hose, airflow/pipework into the supercharger, keeping the aircon etc etc.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
M22APW said:
Sjdickso said:
That looks great.

may i ask what stage your car is currently at? What will your end BHP be?

Should be between 240 - 250bhp when finished

vocky said:

Thanks for the great comments. Makes doing the job a whole lot better. Going to stick with the standard cast manifold as its strong, but I have already removed the pre-cat and I will be fabricating a 2.5" downpipe with a sports cat to de-restrict the first part of the exhaust as the car is also running a 2.5" milltek cat back system.

all looks good so far .so how are you going to stop the bonnet from breaking the boost valve on the sc and will you have to modify the rad/fan assembly and front cross member to fit the sc?

M22APW

Trader
evocarlos said:
all looks good so far .so how are you going to stop the bonnet from breaking the boost valve on the sc and will you have to modify the rad/fan assembly and front cross member to fit the sc?

We have already done development and some trial fitment (a while ago now). It all fits/clears the slam panel. There is a minor mod to one of the fan legs to allow the aircon pipework to clear/fit and the actuator also misses the bonnet, so no worries there.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
M22APW said:
evocarlos said:

We have already done development and some trial fitment (a while ago now). It all fits/clears the slam panel. There is a minor mod to one of the fan legs to allow the aircon pipework to clear/fit and the actuator also misses the bonnet, so no worries there.

just another quick question or 2 so is it a water rad to cool the charge cooler? and what was it sourced from? is it connected to the engine water or separate pump and supply or am i just wrong and its an inter cooler lol also was there much clearance form the air con fan and bumper? :oops:

M22APW

Trader
evocarlos said:
just another quick question or 2 so is it a water rad to cool the charge cooler? and what was it sourced from? is it connected to the engine water or separate pump and supply or am i just wrong and its an inter cooler lol also was there much clearance form the air con fan and bumper? :oops:

Sorry not be around for a while. Mainly spent spare time working on the car!

Yes the additional radiator at the front of the car (same place as the lower front mounted intercooler sits) is a water radiator, basically it is a charge cooler pre-rad which cools the water from the laminova charge cooler which is an integral part of the inlet manifold. Not part of the engine cooling system because the water in the engine cooling system regularly exceeds 100 degrees C which would be no good for trying to keep inlet air temperatures down.

It is basically a separate water system which is pumped by a separate electric pump. The inlet air (which is compressed by the SC) is cooled through the charge cooler heat exchanger in the inlet manifold. The heat is taken out of the inlet air by the water, which is then pumped to the separate water radiator at the front of the car. The water is then cooled in the double pass water radiator and then returned (cool) to the charge cooler core to repeat the process.

Yes there is adequate clearance between the rad and the air con fan (the rad has been on the car for about 2 weeks sitting there doing nothing! before I started the rest of the work) and it doesn't touch the fan at all.

As for where it was sourced..... it was manufactured specifically for my car to a design I sketched for the fabiciators to follow. I wanted to get the largest rad in I could (within reason and without having to chop bumpers about).

HTH cheers..

M22APW

Trader
Update..... the car is now finished and will be at PVS......... Goes brilliantly, Sounds awesome!!!!!

Europa Blue SE1

Johnny that's the car I'm waiting on to be finished to find out when I can get my S/C Mark Watts that's the guy I've to phone in about 3 weeks lovely looking car I can't wait to get the mod done :D

Nem

vocky said:
Nem said:
Is it going to be sold as a kit?

you can buy a kit, good job as it would be a long drive :LOL:

Yeah and they dont make a snorkel big enough either! :LOL:

I would like to do something with mine. Maybe buy something and even have all the extra requirements met by tuning company. But cant figure they'd know where to start unless pushed in the direction by those in the know. ie: C-S.