Concerned !

Beanyman

Hi, (sorry, long-ish post)

I have an 02 plate Vectra 2.2i SRI (150) Estate which has 60k miles on the clock and has been serviced by the main dealer I bought it from every year (it was 6 months old when I bought it from Vxl stock via the dealer)

A few weeks ago, I started the car and it was really chuggy for about 2 mins which I thought may be down to washing the car and maybe some water got into the exhaust system ( I have no idea about engines ! ) which cleared, so thought nothing of it.

A week or so later, I started the car and the engine didn't sound very good at all, sort of a metalic ticking and grinding noise and as it was a short journey, I carried on home. I checked the oil level and it seemed OK, removed the oil cap and it seemed very dry in there so topped the oil up a little and the engine seems to be quiet again.

I've since had an interim dealer service and mentioned the problems and that I seem to be using up more oil than I ever have with similar journeys, they replaced and topped the car up with oil and told me to come back after 500 miles so they could see how much oil the car has used.

Could this be a warning sign regarding the timing chain ?

Engine No. = 11208686 so it seems I may be OK (out of the range) and using the latest set up (not the recall setup) but I'm concerned that it may be on the way out and can't afford the astonishing prices I've seen on the web for repairs and the repair timescales involved.

Am I worrying over nothing ? I'm about 150 miles off the milestone set by the garage (noted earlier) so I'll mention the whole issue anyway and see what they advise, but if anyone else has experienced any warning signs, it would be good to know.

Thanks.

Aly

Hello & welcome to the site im sure somebody will be able to advise you shortly..

vocky

Staff
you have a later spec engine, so it should be ok.

you may have a cracked exhaust manifold, it's worth getting the garage to have a look

ecky1972

could check that the manifold bolted up tight too i had one that was loose was ok with new gasket and tightened up

Beanyman

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest (a little).

I'll mention it to the garage as one possibility as I'm loathed to get rid of my car.

I'll come back with details of what the garage find incase it helps anyone else with similar symptoms/problems.

Thanks again.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
A manifold problem wouldn't explain excess oil usage. Are you absolutely sure that you have the new oil jet fitted? How do you know this?

I thought that it was a given that ALL Vectra B z22se engines had the old style chain kits?

MikeS

Former Staff
they did

mine was registered may 02 and had old jet

even some vectra c's had old jets

sounds to me like the chain has jumped

Beanyman

From what I have read from other sites, it doesn't necessarily matter when the car was registered, more so when the car was built as it could have been sat in a field awaiting delivery etc. for months before being registered.

I also thought that engines built after a certain range were not afected ?

It would seem the only way to know what I have is for my garage to strip the engine down to have a look (FOC hopefully), but if it is the old style faulty nozzle I assume vauxhall are liable for the repairs seeing that they are aware of the issue ? (remedy 1532)

Sjdickso

Staff
Beanyman said:
From what I have read from other sites, it doesn't necessarily matter when the car was registered, more so when the car was built as it could have been sat in a field awaiting delivery etc. for months before being registered.

I also thought that engines built after a certain range were not afected ?

It would seem the only way to know what I have is for my garage to strip the engine down to have a look (FOC hopefully), but if it is the old style faulty nozzle I assume vauxhall are liable for the repairs seeing that they are aware of the issue ? (remedy 1532)

That will be your only way of telling, i doubt you will get it done FOC even with 1532 remedy, but you may have some luck with network Q if it has got network Q and the engine is damaged.

As you are starting a oil consumption test you normally need to do 1,000 miles. But get it all in writing.

Hope that you get it sorted.

Nitronick

Z22SE using oil?

Piston Oil Controll Rings and/or Valve stem oil seal's. Either way when ANY engine starts glugging the slippery stuff it means only one thing.

A BIG BILL.

Beanyman

Hello again.

I thought I'd come back with an update seeing that you guys have been helpfull.

So I took the car back to the dealership after 1000 miles and it had apparantky used hardly any oil, certainly nothing to worry about. I also asked them about the timing chain and they were completely honest and said the only time they have had one, it was down to a lack of oil change and as mine had been done every year 8-9k miles, it should not be a problem.

I took it in again the other day to have brake pads, and told them about a new noise I'm experiencing.

Basically, the engine sounds more throaty than it used to but only when a gear is selected. I can rev the engine and hear nothing odd, but as soon as I select a gear and excelerate, I can hear a low growl as if the exhaust is blowing. They have checked it over and found nothing other than I had no oil in the car ! nothing shown on the dip stick but no warning light on the dash ?

They've topped up the oil FOC and said that the usage is within Vauxhall guidelines and to keep checking and topping up as required.

Could it be a clutch/gearbox issue ? could that burn oil ?

Beanyman

Update.

Had my car serviced 2 weeks ago and the timing chain was noted as making a lot of noise and so needed changing, the other issues i've had as previously posted was oil consumption and the throaty engine noise, these were down to an oil leak on the crank shaft and front flexi on the exhaust (as mentioned by vocky) got the exhaust fixed (non dealer) for £130. the dealer was going to charge £545 !.

Anyway, they quoted for the timing chain, I rang round a few places and prices were between £600-£800, the dealer quoted £471.00 so I snapped their hand off, when booking it in they laughed at what I was quoted as that probably wouldn't cover the cost of the parts, but they'd honour the price (y)

Done today, car runs like a dream.

Thanks to all that helped earlier last year.

sophos9

Did they do balancer and cam chain? The cam chain kit is around £110 from Vx, balancer chain is around the same...