Changing balance chain sprockets...

Taes

Cheers HarleyPete, that's actually my thread from a while back you'very got :). Oil wasn't registering before chain guide went but I plan to keep this car a while and possibly supercharge so ill get it sorted right and teach myself more in the process :)

Taes

Afternoon all, bolts arrived yesterday, cars coming together but...

Before i bolt it all back together, spinning the wheel with new chain in, every couple revolutions i get a fair slack in the chain then it 'snaps' tight again...is this normal and controlled under oil pressure or what am i missing?

KevinH

I think both tensioners work off oil pressure although both have spring tension to reduce any slack until the engine is started.

Probably not a good idea to turn the engine in an anti-clockwise direction though. The coloured marks on the chain won't come back into alignment for a good few hundred revolutions.

When you have refitted the sump and filled with oil you can turn the engine over by key (i.e.without cam cover fitted) to bring the oil pressure up and check the cam chain is being well lubricated.

Hope this helps (evocarlos is the man with the knowledge on these) :)

Last edited:

Taes

Evening all, finally got car back together, but...

whilst it's running well, i have a constant knocking/tapping sound, increasing with revs. Had car up to operating temperature and a wee run along the road and back and plenty oil (dipstick now works :)).

Any suggestions? i have a niggling feeling its the slack in the chain between the cam sprockets causing it. But if it is this not sure how to get rid of it, i was hoping it was the tensioner on the back of the block needing oil pressure to sort this.

Ps. apart from the sound the car appears to be running really well.

Cheers, Taes

IDI AMIN

To me the chain in the video looks like it is stretched and this is what causes
the dip. Either that or the tensioner is not functioning properly

Not sure if the chain is brand new or not

Taes

Brand new chain so i'd like to think its not stretched. Followed the fitting guide so should be ok.

Im assuming i could take the tensioner out and refit it...losing oil in the process unless i drain it first

IDI AMIN

You wont lose too much oil as it sits in the sump and is pumped to that area but you will lose a little.#
I have had that problem with the chain dipping a little when you rotate the crankshaft , so i would be a little concerned if i were you. for me it was a stretched/ worn chain
Are you 100% certain that you activated the tensioner before putting it in ?
You should not have that problem if everything is brand new

Taes

Well dinna mind losing a little oil. I am a little concerned but ill check the tensioner first.

Im sure i did, i pushed the pin and it "sprung" out before i fitted it which i believe is activated?

bought it just the other week from Autovaux

HarleyPete

Well based on what Carl told me, my new chains should be good (with regular oil changes) for about another 100k. My old timing chain was still fine (balance one had stretched or tensioner had started to give out/get stuck) when Carl did it but that was more than likely down to the fact that mine has been regularly serviced.

IDI AMIN

How easy stretched are the chains?
It should not happen with a brand new chain it would usually be with a chain that has been starved of oil or has a lot of miles on it
it is a very little dip you have on the chain when it is being rotated so maybe you went wrong somewhere when fitting chain.
Did you have the slack on the chain on the tensioner rail side before fitting the tensioner . You need to be 100% with the fitting process, when you align the links on the chain with the arrows on the sprockets there will bea little slack still before you fit the tensioner this should be on the left side of the chain once you insert the tensioner this slack will be removed
If the timing was out the car would not start so that is not your problem.