Car feels flat

Jameshs

I have had a random misfire from cold and have since fitted another coilpack and a coolant temp sensor and me car seems to feel flat unless above 4000. Is this normal??

edbutler

4000rpm+ is where the ECU switches to Open Loop (fixed fuelling parameters) if i remember correctly? Maybe when your car is operating in closed loop, the correct AFR isnt being provided... This could be due to a cracked exhaust pathway or a bad lambda sensor.

Has the cold misfire disappeared with the new Coil Pack/CTS??

Edit: If you have Cams and a 2.4 Inlet - heres what mine was like before and after the inlet manifold - great top end, but a dog under 4k!
http://www.dyno-plot.co.uk/dyno/dynoplo ... /index.htm

MikeS

Former Staff
a new cts will make the car feel a slot smoother in power delivery

also it takes time for the ecu to relearn

worth resetting ecu and giving it a few hundred miles

edbutler

Dodgy sounding question but i prefer old school diagnostics - Check colour of spark plugs (rich=black, good=light brown, lean=white). Also have a whiff of your exhaust when warm. Also check your exhaust after a run:

When i blocked off my FPR accidentally the car felt very flat at top end - the car was running very lean. Exhaust was clean after a good drive, but gold coloured due to the heat!

When my Ex Manifold was cracked, it caused low end hesistation (like yours). Spark plugs and Exhaust tips got sooty very quickly - like after 30 miles or so!

Jameshs

i checked the plugs last week and they were a brown colour, the exhaust goes gold but not too sooty. you never know but it could be that i am just used to the power and now getting frustrated, but there is still the problem with the misfire, i will take the filter out this weekend to see if thats casuing anything.

Random i know but the car was fine until i ran a fuel flush through it? could this have clogged the fuel filter or somthing?

MikeS

Former Staff
fuel flush ?

i would check your pre cat / cat for blockages and lambda voltages

could also be a cracked exhaust manifold

edbutler

What type of fuel flush?! Proper ones will knacker your fuel filter (sometimes because they become clogged after the clean) and most people recommend to change them after. Worth a try!

Shame changing a FF on a VX looks so easy but is a complete pig to get to!! :confused:

What mods do you have? If you have a 2.4 inlet, its probably just that! :shifty:

vinceboy

hi mate, did you have any joy wiv the fuel filter cos i have the same problem. Recently ran a fuel flush through system, now car misfiring.