Cam Chain Replacement - Your Thoughts?

Ok guys haven't posted on here for ages but I do regularly look at the amazing info on here.
I have an Astra 2.2 2003 plate but I live in France. I'm driving it back for the autumn as it needs some work doing on it. It's miles cheaper to get the work done in the UK, French garages are terrible!

Jobs I will do myself are,
Brake overhaul i.e. new callipers hoses, lines, pads and discs
Rust needs treating on sub frame, rear beam etc
Full service oil, filters, plugs etc

The engine is coming up to 85K and 11 years so it needs a new cam chain, tensioner, water pump?
I will get my local independent to do this but am guessing it will be 6 hours labour plus parts? (any ideas of the costs for parts and labour?) Best place to get parts are? (I noticed Matt on the forum sells them)

Another question entirely is….. The car has been super reliable and I enjoy it immensely but is it worth doing all the work above for what is essentially an ageing car with rust issues!
It has a full 2 year CT (i.e. like MOT) so I could just do some basic tidying then sell it on in France. I would probably get 2K for it over there (yes unbelievable)!

Am I missing the point my wife thinks I'm nuts hanging on to it and doing all the work…..she would prefer me driving an Audi…LOL

Matt

Administrator
Parts and labour can vary greatly. A lot of garages don't like working on chains, and we have members on here who can actually do the work at a greatly reduced cost (tagging @evocarlos again because he need to pay for his SC parts ;)) and I supply the chains if required.

If you enjoy the car, and doing what you have mentioned above should have it mechanically sound again for another 10 years.