Cam chain help needed chain dips

IDI AMIN

Sandy i see you have used fai timing kits has it given you any problems since you fitted it would be good for some feedback before i decide which one to go for

sandyc

I thought the FAI kit was alright. Ive always trusted their products. I wouldn't know long term though as I only managed 2000 miles on my rebuilt engine before the car was destroyed in an accident.

IDI AMIN

I thought the FAI kit was alright. Ive always trusted their products. I wouldn't know long term though as I only managed 2000 miles on my rebuilt engine before the car was destroyed in an accident.
This is the one i went for FAI it is advertised with a 2 year warranty or 24000 miles so thats a pretty good guarantee for me most others i checked out including the genuine vauxhall one are only offering 12 months warranty so i'll see how it goes will keep the troops informed

Matt

Administrator
i will consider them but just a bit pricey i will decide by morning if i order first thing i can get it delivered by wednesday
If you think they are pricey, you should try VX direct. I've no idea how that eBay store is able to supply genuine kits for so cheap. I spent ages getting a below trade discount for the kits we supply, and we can't get anywhere near that price.

IDI AMIN

If you think they are pricey, you should try VX direct. I've no idea how that eBay store is able to supply genuine kits for so cheap. I spent ages getting a below trade discount for the kits we supply, and we can't get anywhere near that price.
I had a good look through all available kits on ebay . I went for FAI f1 automotive shop on ebay 120 quid including delivery The kits on this website are way out my price range i'm afraid would be waiting another 2 or 3 weeks i'm stretching my budget as it is. So this is an inbetween not too cheap not too dear with 24 months warranty with all the extras including timing chain cover gasket just hope it all goes well getting desperate to get back on the road

IDI AMIN

Chain kit has just arrived and with the new Z20net Tensioner Luvvly Jubbly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: wish me luck

Attachments

• 2012-11-15 12.37.19.jpg
    2012-11-15 12.37.19.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 2012-11-15 12.45.21.jpg
    2012-11-15 12.45.21.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 2012-11-15 12.48.10.jpg
    2012-11-15 12.48.10.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 2012-11-15 12.49.22.jpg
    2012-11-15 12.49.22.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 234

IDI AMIN

I managed it though it needed a tap with a rubber mallet pressed over it using a hammer the old one just slid off but this needed persuasion to get on so far so good with progress

sandyc

1 little tip. DO NOT overtighten the bolts holding the chain guide. I did and managed to shear one. I was very lucky it was accessible enough to undo it with a nail punch.

IDI AMIN

1 little tip. DO NOT overtighten the bolts holding the chain guide. I did and managed to shear one. I was very lucky it was accessible enough to undo it with a nail punch.
I know what you mean i over tightened one of the bolts holding the exhaust manifold onto the cylinder head and it broke off cant really do anything about it but it should be secure enough there is another nine holding it

IDI AMIN

Chain fitted nicely and looks solid no dip between the camshaft sprockets looked great when turning by hand put it all back together when eventually finished started car a bit of grinding sound had to strip the chain cover and mountings down again and f**king disaster :banghead::banghead::banghead: one of the balance shaft rails has broken think i need a new balance shaft kit now the chain did seem kinda slack on the balance shaft compared with new timing chain but thought it would be alright should have known better

IDI AMIN

Got my balance chain kit today troops and all for the grand price of 85.00 with free postage. (y) NICE (y) these are genuine vauxhall parts with the GM labels and all the parts have GM stamped on them so hope it helps someone in future to decide where to get it .This is from Ebay shop Direct supplies. Just need to find the time to get it fitted

Balance chain.jpgBalance rail (1).jpgBalance rail (2).jpgBalance rail 3.jpgBalance sprockets.jpgBalance tensioner.jpgBig balance sprocket.jpgBalance washer and bolts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

astra22bertoneauto

OUCH! You actually get the 2 balance shaft sprockets?! Last time i bought a complete genuine GM kit I never got that item. Can you confirm Matt if you are meant to get this in a genuine kit???

If you do replace the balance shaft sprockets make sure you tighten the retaining bolts up VERY tight! I think the correct torque is about 80Nm but dont quote me on this. Ill check on autodata tomorrow. If they are not tight 1 of the bolts will undo itself and cause you a heap of problems. IMO i probably would not fit the x2 balance shaft sprockets.

Otherwise not bad buy for genuine bits.

EDIT: Is that all the bolts you got with the kit??? I think there should be a few more than just 2, from what i noticed in your pictures.

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

OUCH! You actually get the 2 balance shaft sprockets?! Last time i bought a complete genuine GM kit I never got that item. Can you confirm Matt if you are meant to get this in a genuine kit???

If you do replace the balance shaft sprockets make sure you tighten the retaining bolts up VERY tight! I think the correct torque is about 80Nm but dont quote me on this. Ill check on autodata tomorrow. If they are not tight 1 of the bolts will undo itself and cause you a heap of problems. IMO i probably would not fit the x2 balance shaft sprockets.

EDIT: Is that all the bolts you got with the kit??? I think there should be a few more than just 2, from what i noticed in your pictures.
Yeah that's all that was there two bolts but i think overall that's a very good deal i got a lot of kits don't supply the two sprockets and can be dearer than what i paid.The two small sprockets were not packaged but all other parts were in a packet with their own part number etc it was all in a small square plain box regards to bolts torque i will triple double check all that can't afford any more f ups but i'm sure vocky said you can re use the small bolts as they are not stretch bolts and only take about 10nm but that might have been for the small ones related to the cam chain. If you can it's best to change the sprockets according to haynes manual it's a false economy to put new chains on old sprockets and should all be renewed as a complete assembly.I will see how hard it is before i decide.Plus i don't know if this seller buys these parts in bulk wholesale and puts them into packages possibly why such a good price. some labels say made in usa some made in France and another says made in Germany. Will let you know how it goes later on.

Matt

Administrator

This is what you should get in a full GM Balance Chain Kit:

Z22SE_Balance_Chain-800x800.jpg

It looks like the kit above is missing 2 of the black bolts, and the 3 silver bolts.

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

Hey i just found two silver bolts in the box. The packet with the black bolts was slightly cut open i'm always suspicious when s:poop::poop:t like that happens so i'm missing one silver and one black bolt either that or they're shaped like sprockets:sneaky:

Attachments

• 2 bolts.jpg
    2 bolts.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 181