Battery disconnect without alarm?

Drakey

Hi, I`m trying to clean up my engine to get her running smooth again after a series of problems. I believe an old fault is causing the Engine management light to illuminate,

A: is it possible to disconnect the battery without the alarm sounding, and

B: can the engine management system be reset by leaving the battery disconnected for a certain amount of time.

many thanks, Nige`

goose

To disconnect the battery turn the ignition on then off disconnect batt within ten seconds. If that doesnt work then leave the ignition on when you disconnect. Think your eml will have to be reset via tech 2 20.gif

JohnnyN

Former Staff
When you disconnect the battery the alarm will sound for about 20 seconds then stop. Then you can carry on as normal. The engine management light comes on as soon as it registers a fault. The light will stay on if the fault is current even after you disconnect the battery.

If the ECU has just had a bit of a brain fart, the light should go off after you've reconnected the battery. I had to do mine last week after having a play with a Scooby (Doh!!). The light came on and I just disconnected the battery for a few minutes then connected it back up. Its all good now.

thumbup

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Drakey said:
cheers for the info,i'll give it a go in the morning... 20.gif 20.gif

Not too early or the neighbours will get p1ssy when the alarm goes off!!

rofl..