Astra with knocking

K70 RAF

Right guys Ive got a 2003 which has just had a new chain fitted and now is knocking. Sounds like a bottom end knock so I am assuming game over. It has now run out of MOT and I think I am going to need to get rid. Is anyone in the market for a project. It is a 3 door hatch in blue.

Or does anyone think this is an easy fix? All constructive opinions welcome

patricks

Depends on whats causing the knocking. I was convinced my knocking/tapping was caused by hydraulic lifters - turned out to be a stuck tensioner and broken chain guide. Moral of the story - find out whats causing ur knocking for sure...

K70 RAF

I would love to and fix it but it comes down to time and weather both of which I am not having much luck with lol. I have had all the chain apart and replaced it all, the tensioner is tight and all looks good apart from the low down knock. p**sed off as it has only done 85K.

patricks

I feel ur pain. Well if is main bearing knock the labour involved to fix is a big job im sure u know. So if i were in ur position id make 100% sure thats what is before i sold it off or wrote it off.......especially if u like the car.......

vocky

Staff
sounds like the big end is knocking, you might get away with just fitting new big end bearings to the conrods with the sump removed, but if it's ran for a period of time the crank may be damaged and require replacement.

K70 RAF

sump removal - yuck! havent got the time or the want to do that job! Thinking I'll post it on here and ebay as spares or repair. Anyone know of anyone that would want it?