alternator done

poundy

managed to get this done eventualy,but had to re thread one of the bolt holes as it was knackered, prob cos they have been used so many time(trouble with alloys) any way the noise dissapeared as well.when i looked at the old alternator it was breaking up inside.
this is the third one ive had in 3 years and i recon the additional tension is to blame for the bearings and maybe the addition of the charger and increase in sudden demand in duty is just too much for the standard units.
the unit i took out wasn't a cheap one either(but not an original part) and because i have to chop the end of the plastic cover off to get it to fit its voided any warrenty i would have had on it!

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
glad you got it sorted ready for tomorrow :)
trick is to space the alternator out on m10 nuts then remove the rear cover and fit a suppressor from another z22se you know the one at the back of the engine (just drill the hole out to fit the bolt) then refit to the alternator
but with mine im running the ac idler also so wont get much pressure on the bearings of the alternator
heres my 120 amp :) and it still misses with a thermal gasket
WP_001341.jpg WP_001340.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
yeah thats as close as mine is with the rear cover on but removing the cover is saves cutting it then if needed you can send it back or just remove the cover from your old one and fit it to the new one :)

poundy

and the pulley set up
ai838.photobucket.com_albums_zz301_poundy_IMG_0206_1.jpg
its not too clear but the alternator pulley is under quite a bit of tension i would say

poundy

yeah thats as close as mine is with the rear cover on but removing the cover is saves cutting it then if needed you can send it back or just remove the cover from your old one and fit it to the new one :)
i tried that originaly and i found that if the area got damp i was getting tracking occuring so that why i didnt take it off after

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
maybe it is to much strain on the alternator with that setup
is it like this
24231_f2b9956f6c4d6cd9655d948741efc7d4.jpg

one of my idler pulleys is making a row i did clean one out and put new grease in maybe i will do the other one to
i did jet wash the engine bay the other week and had no problems with the alternator :confused: