2.2 Vectra engine rebuild

Hutchinson

So, it's survived it's first 500 miles since the rebuild. Apart from a clicking CV joint (soon to be replaced) it's chewed the miles up with no problems.

I must say I'm now a big fan of this engine, it feels really torquey and responsive. Even the power steering feels better than normal, do they have electric PAS pumps or something?

Only thing I need is an airbox or cheap induction kit (it's currently sucking in unfiltered air! (I've been swerving to avoid the dust, don't worry))

;)

JohnnyN

Former Staff
The powersteering is run off of the inlet cam. Its only the Vectra to have this configuration. The Astra and Zafira have electic powersteering and the VX220 has no powersteering.

;-)

bunji81

What a crackin read :eek: just made my lunch hour fly by :LOL: some really good help on this thread. Keep us updated of any other mods you do drool.gif cheers..

Hutchinson

bunji81 said:
What a crackin read :eek: just made my lunch hour fly by :LOL: some really good help on this thread. Keep us updated of any other mods you do drool.gif cheers..

I haven't really done much to it since it was rebuilt. I've fitted a leather 4 spoke steering wheel and replaced a CV joint. That's about it I think!

I've got a few bits and bobs planned for it, mostly getting rid of the last of the grey dash trim and fitting the various bits I've collected like Cruise Control etc.

Obviously I'm still on the lookout for an air-con pipe too. I guess it'll only be a problem during the summer though.

;)

Hutchinson

UPDATE:

1. Since I rebuilt the car it's been working fine generally, however, it's been using a fair bit of fuel and idling badly etc. I put this down to the 2.2 engine just being a bit lumpy (I've not had any experience of a fully working one - don't shoot me! ;) ), plus of course this car hasn't had the best life so far. Had a few spare hours on Saturday so had a quick look at it. I found that one of the wires to the plug that connects to the MAF wasn't connected properly. So, a few minutes with a soldering iron soon had that fixed. It now runs loads better and idles really smoothly. I've only driven it a short distance but it seems quite a bit more powerful too.

2. While I was doing that I spotted that one of the vacuum take-off points on the inlet manifold didn't have a blanking plug on it. I'm guessing this might be why the heater controls weren't operating exactly as they should. Anyway, a bit of creativity and I soon had a suitable plug to blank it off. The heaters now work very nicely indeed.

3. The indicators for some reason never cancelled themselves after going round corners. Fitted a new stalk (with CC functionality) and it's now solved that little issue. I'll get me a couple of switches for the pedals and get the CC running at some point too.

After sorting those little niggles the car feels much nicer to drive. I'm starting to see it as less of a cheap runabout and more like a respectable method of transport!!

:)