2.2 direct?

HUDDY

looking at getting a vec c 2.2 direct. curently got a 2.2 coupe....
whats the difference in this engine and s tuning any different???

rushy

Direct has about 10-15 extra bhp I think and better mpg than the se. Am sure its just the fueling (direct injection) thats different, so tuning should be pretty much just the same. Tbh, the lump to go for in vec c is the cdti 150 with 180-190bhp only a good remap away. Thing is the cdti's hold there value more so its cheaper to get a 2.2 yh and pay the extra on fuel. Just to add, all signums and estates are yh, where as the vec only got the direct from 54 plate onwards. By the way, the siggy is the one to go for, better built and more exclusive.

rushy

Matt said:
The Signum is by far a much better thought out car than the Vectra.
It seems to be the way that first time buyers to the vec c always get the hatch, but then want to move one to the siggy. The problem with the signim is that it is really only a 4 seater, with 4 separate seats, even the 2 in the back can slide backwards to give extra leg room or forward for better boot space. The Centre seat is only really any use for kids or for short journeys for adults. Although if you get a Travel assistant then your properly sorted in the back, it has 2 tables, a fridge dvd player holder and a little bin. Take a look at this little pic/vid of Duncans pre facelift.
http://www.forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=188

markv

I've seen one of the 2.2 direct injections today (z22yh if I'm correct). Engine looks a bit different from the z22se. From what I saw it has a MAF instead of MAP, uses a different EGR setup (looks like a butterfly valve) and seems to have a Siemens based ECU (has different casing from the E15 on the z22se, seems to be a simtec-81). Oh, and it sounds quite different from the z22se when running. Sounds a lot rougher, but that probably has to do with the direct injection.

Mark

GTR

From the info I have the z22yh comes with forged rods and a higher compression ratio (thus the higher power). Not many people do direct injection tuning as it's a bit new but the normal stuff should work n/a style, not sure about forced induction tuning though due to the higher compression.

Course with the stronger rods, maybe a cheap alternative to the aftermarket ones?