Z22SE 1 Litre of Oil in 60-80km

Sidicer

Hello, sorry for creating even ANOTHER thread about oil consumption, but I didn't see any topics about oil consumption above 1L/500km and I have a bit of a bigger problem. (n)
Maybe one of you guys could point me the right direction :rolleyes:

Backstory of my car is very long so I'll just say that I had my head restored (new valves, new valve seals, cleaned, well.. everything) and it's been done together with another (new) timing chain kit change.

But.. Doing this 1k€ work did not fix one problem: MASSIVE oil consumption. I have a leaky rear main seal, but it seldom drips on the ground with small dots, so I don't think that 1L/60km of oil would be from rear main seal. While changing the timing chain we checked the front main seal and it looked like new, no leaks, no nothing.

My and my dads thoughts are that maybe the Valve Seals have "popped off(?)"/were not placed correctly and they're spewing oil like crazy? The spark plugs are oily and shining a flashlight into the cylinder you can see oil puddles on top of the pistons. We had pistons also removed while we waited for the head to be done and oil rings were not stuck and looked pretty good, the cylinders were not "scared" or elipsed.

Where could a Z22SE pour such amounts of oil ? Antifreeze is not rising, after 500km it looks just as it looked when we topped it off.
In these 500kms of test-driving I've put in 6-7L of oil.
When the car is stationary - no oil has leaked. I've left the car parked near the shop for a week and today the oil level is the same as it was when I left the car.
It's an Astra G Coupe with Z22SE engine.

Could the head be the problem and should we take the head back to the shop that done it ? Or how else could I trace back the oil problem?
Also can I stuck/clogged "PCV" system create bottom pressure and suck up oil and push to the combustion part of the engine?

Thank you for any replies.

IDI AMIN

I think the condition of the piston rings can be a factor in oil consumption .

If you had the head off you should have done new piston rings and drilled new oil holes around the pistons to reduce oil loss

Sidicer

I think the condition of the piston rings can be a factor in oil consumption .

Im pretty sure previous owner had change the lower end of the engine or replaced cylinder linings and rings, because the rings looked almost new and have never been stuck or coated in burnt oil

IDI AMIN

You are not having much luck with your engine

How certain are you that the piston rings are not worn

Sidicer

You are not having much luck with your engine

How certain are you that the piston rings are not worn
70%. I'm wondering as I mentioned above if bad valve stem seals or something around could cause such high oil leakage ? Also can my "PCV" whole system be the cause of this ?

IDI AMIN

So you don't know for certain the condition of the piston rings.

You can remove the cam cover to see if the valve stem seals have popped off or if they are faulty

1559738268573.png

You have that piece on the intake manifold, I don't think it is the cause of so much oil consumption.

I could be wrong, but it will not do any harm to replace it. Do you know the condition of this piece

Last edited:

KevinH

You mentioned in a previous post that the valves hit your pistons hard, so when the cylinder head was restored, did they renew the valve guides as they would have definitely cracked. If not then this would be a candidate for oil seeping into the cylinders and being burnt off.

Sidicer

You mentioned in a previous post that the valves hit your pistons hard, so when the cylinder head was restored, did they renew the valve guides as they would have definitely cracked. If not then this would be a candidate for oil seeping into the cylinders and being burnt off.

Everything that sits in the head except from camshafts were replaced with new parts