z22yh & z22se compatibility

Andy260

Hi, just wondering if someone can help, basically I bought a 04 plate signun 2.2 direct with the engine gone (Z22YH) but they also supplied an engine with it, but it turns out its the Z22SE, from what I can make out all that's different is the head, conrod and pistons, now I'm just wondering will the Z22YH head fit onto the Z22SE engine without any complications?

vocky

Staff
the only parts you can use from the z22se are:

The bare engine block and the sump, but I would guess the bores are worn on the older z22se - so not even worth using.

The z22yh has; higher compression pistons, the rods have a bigger gudgen pin to suit the yh pistons, the yh crank has a different trigger wheel (60-2 rather than 5+2), the yh cylinder head is totally different, the yh exhaust cam sprocket is different, the yh oil pump is an upgraded item.

Just sell the z22se and buy a z22yh (y)

If you were planning on doing this you can buy my Signum with Z22YH and use the engine from that.
Should only need head gasket replacing but entirely up to you.
It has had new piston rings, water pump, cylinder test and all new valves, timing chains in last 3 months.
Only thing is the engine comes with the whole car
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140935455717?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649.
I would defo not even attempt that engine with other bits from YH, no telling what would happen

Will the oil pan (sump tray) from an older Z22SE engine fit the Z22yh engine in a 2006 Zafira? I do not need support for a multi-function display. The GM part numbers are different but the parts look identical in all of the pictures I have seen on the internet.

vocky

Staff
the oil pans can be swapped over and cause no problems at all, they have the exact same bolt pattern and shape.

Just remember to use sealant on the oil pick up hole as well as all the way around the flange when fitting the replacement sump

Hi vocky,

Thank you! I will pass along your tip to my mechanic who will be doing the replacement. (I lack both a garage and a set of tools suitable for major DIY work here in Sweden.)

Is there a particular sealant that you recommend? In the US, I replaced the oil pan on my 2003 Mazda MPV which uses a gasket as the primary sealing medium, so I have no experience with oil pans that rely on sealant instead of a gasket. My mechanic friend who works at the local Volvo-Renault dealer said that newer Volvos also use sealer instead of a gasket.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
rtv silicon gasket maker :)
i use this stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wynns-Pro...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41760e73ad

here's the how to lol
sump_1.jpg