still problems cutting out

jordy

Hoping for some suggestions as Im not sure what to try. Bit of a long standing issue where my 2.2 direct z22yh just cuts out. It can do it while idling or when driving along. Today it was particularly bad did it 5 times on a 45 min journey once on duel carriageway and twice on a,roundabout.
Its had hp fuel pump replaced about 18months ago along with the regulator new coil pack and plugs recently as well. strange thing is it will follow the same pattern every time. It cuts out and wont restart but leave it 2 to 3 mins and it starts fine and off you go till it may do it again in a few miles or be fine for days.
No lights come on the dash although rac said it showed codes for misfires in all cylinders and these were cleared but showed up again after doing it today. Had a service at the dealers a week ago and i asked them to look into it but said they couldnt find anything and suggested booking it back in for a more thorough (and expensive i imagine) investigation.
So what can I try now? I was reading threads on the CTS sensor, is that worth a try? would it cause this possibly?
Really appreciate any help as its ruined so many days out and holidays now.

IDI AMIN

Exhaust sensors! maybe worth getting them checked out

Faulty coil pack possibly
Faulty cat or blocked
Try a new cts its cheap to replace
Timing maybe

figo126

sounds like crank sensor I had it before I could drive for 5 minutes stop for a paper go back to car ,it would just turn over with no lights coming up on dash ,got aa out plugged computer in no faults ,asking a mate about it he said try crank sensor fitted new gm sensor never did again ,

jordy

Thanks for replies. I will give the coolant sensor a go then and might try the crank sensor as well if they are not expensive. Coil pack is only a month old and didn't sort it so unless I got a duff one is not that. I did wonder about the cat as occasionally when I start it in the morning I get a rattling from underneath that lasts a few seconds. Could it be the cats breaking up inside? Is there a way to check that without taking it off?

IDI AMIN

I think if you check under the car after its been running a while a faulty cat would be red hot like its been heated with oxy/acetlane gas torch, I've had that before
Although I think a faulty cat would send a code to the ecu. Still worth a look under after a run

Figo could be correct about crank sensor never had problems with them myself so haven't experienced the symptoms

Also I am the SE your engine is the YH so will have a different set of problems to deal with

Is it a vec c ?
What is year and mileage

I think a crank sensor is about 50 quid
Just need to start eliminating possibilities one at a time starting with the cheapest

jordy

I will see if I can check the cat then. No its a zafira I've got 55 plate 80 000 miles.
Had it 3 years and just seems every problem this thing has results in it cutting out when your driving along, I've never known a car like it. Faulty hp fuel pump car cuts out on motorway. Faulty coil pack so cuts out on motorway. And whatever this fault is same old thing just cuts out on you.
Is a nightmare because they have all been intermittent so garages don't want to know.

jordy

So I'm planning on changing the coolant sensor tomorrow and see if it helps. Is the crank sensor a simple enough job or is it difficult to get to?

patricks

Coolant sensor - dont over tighten it or it will snap. Crank sensor is easy to do pull out and plug in but access myt be an issue it is on the astra with z22se

jordy

Ok I will try them both and see if it helps if not I might try the fuel pressure sensor as well as that was never changed when the pump and regulator was. Although i would have thought I would get a fuel pressure code if it was that.
Thanks again for all the help tho I feel a bit lost with this as we have a car sitting on the drive we are scared to go far with or plan any days out as it keeps wrecking them.
Just worried I'm guessing at stuff.

jordy

Is there any way to diagnose a ecu problem? I have got opcom if I can get my old laptop working to use it.
I live in Margate Kent.
Thanks again for the input guys.

My 2.2 just started cutting out, sometimes after a couple of minutes, sometimes almost immediately. I also had to turn the central locking off and on repeatedly to be able to get her to fire up again - really frustrating. I have narrowed this down to the ecu and am replacing the ecu and full lock set later this week - so I'll let you now whether I have any joy with this.

Rob

jordy

bit of an update. I replaced the CTS and it was ok for a week so just starting hope it possibly could be it but the problem returned with a vengeance yesterday and today.
Interesting thing is when I checked the codes it had the usual 4 codes for the coils. P0351-08 and the same for the other 3.
But this time it had some new codes p1614-50 wrong key, p1616-00 CIM (steering control module) wrong environment identifier.
And also I found a U2139-00 CAN Bus no communication with sim.

At first I thought great as I read this can be just a software update issue but it just doesnt seem right to me and im wondering if this was just a bit random.
would a CIM issue make the car just cut out while driving? And also when I try to restart it it will turn over but just is very spluttery and rough and wont fire up unless you leave it a couple of minutes then it starts fine.
Surely a key or CIM issue would make it not turn over at all? In fact I seem to think it might have just done nothing when I tried to crank it once so maybe these codes are from that one time.

Any ideas at all? Ive tried the other key and its no different also tried removing petrol cap as I read it can be a vacuum problem in the tank.

thanks again everyone really appreciate any help.

jordy

Tried to go out last night and wouldn't even start just turned over and over. This morning tried it and doesn't even do that just a strange click noise. I've done a quick video of it. Any ideas very welcome.

jordy

Hi yes it was the battery in the end. I had put a meter on it and it was showing 12v so I thought it was fine but I tried jump leads on and it started fine.
So my question now tho is has this been the problem all along offer is this something else that happened. Can a faulty battery make the car cut out while running?

jordy

so this problem is rather chronic now and getting bizarre. Really hope someone can give some advice as car is now basically undriveable please bear with me while I explain.
I took battery off and had it tested and it is fine so I put it back on and started it up with the bonnet up. It runs fine for a couple of minutes then seems to struggle a bit picks up then really starts jumping around I presume misfiring??? then cuts out. I try to start but it wont just a single click I put jump leads on and it starts but stalls immediately and does this 3 times until I give a good rev and it keeps running for maybe 3 minutes then just cuts out with no misfire before this time. Once again it wont start put jump leads on and again it starts and runs fine for 5 mins then cuts out and again you guessed it it wont start without a jump.
So whats going on I tried a different battery from my van and it cut out with that.
Is it alternator? but battery light never comes on. A bad connection somewhere shorting out??

please help if you can its doing my head in.

Last edited:

jordy

Any ideas?
I charged the battery today put it back on and it started fine then cut out after a few mins and again won't start just turns over. I left it a couple of hours then it starts. A bit spluttery and not idling great at first but then calms down and ran ok. I put a meter on the battery and it was showing around 14v so it is charging.