Mario's Daffy Zaffy.

Mario

Ok so I think I should start a Project thread for my Zafira A. when I bought it was like this.
WP_000300.jpg

I drove it for roughly 6 days like this before I decided I cant deal with it stock so it got Coilovers, Shorter drop links, coilover socks, Saab 16ich Viking alloys, Astra sport seats, De-Badged grill and eye-brows,

WP_000326.jpg
WP_000339.jpg

Driver seat fitted and original horrible stock zaf passenger seat, yak.

WP_000355.jpg

So I was then content for about 4 weeks, I got an itch for speed, I need power and the 1.6 engine is far from powerful, so it was then onto what else can I slot in to fix my need for power, first I looked at tuning the 1.6 but found I would be limited to around 150bhp, that's not enough, I then looked into a redtop conversion, nahhh its not a straight bolt in by any means, then I saw Evo's Astra and felt a warm fuzzy feeling, what is this feeling, hmmmmmm its the supercharger horn lol, I briefly got distracted by a good deal on a 2.5 V6 conversion but it would be far too much of a pita to fit so I quickly came back to the Z22se conversion, so this almost brings me upto present apart from the fact I have bought an Astra GSi brake upgrade so that should help stopping since I will have discs on the rear not the current drums,

WP_000388.jpg

I have also purchased a full Astra Coupe Z22se conversion and 2 b207r engines with gearboxes.

I have also bought another set of Astra turbo seats that are a closer match to my interior so they will be a lot better.

Mario

Cheers mate, hopefully what I am planning should make this a fairly 1 off car yet to look at it, it will be fairly standard, think I have it looking how I want to look.

Mario

I now have a Z22se+f23 gearbox, a b207r+f40 gearbox and a b207+triptronic box sat in my garage along with a decent set of 16inch 5 spoke steel wheels which will go off to get banded at some point, going from 6.5j to 7.5j on the front and either 8.5 or 9.5j on the rear. I cant believe how full my garage has become all of a sudden lol, I will post a pic up in the morning when its light lol.

Ok so now I have to decide exactly what engine I am going to build, what are peoples thoughts??? only thing I have 100% decided on is I want to Turbo it, so which engine bits will be best for this??? I am also keeping an open mind and I have the idea in the back of my mind of maybe a SC+T in the far future.

PowR Remap

Remap Services
Trader
Is there even enough room to turbo using one of them in the zaf? I sure the astra you can't unless its a kit from dilbas or something?

vocky

Staff
use the B207 as a base, fit the z22se crank, some steel rods (standard z22se will snap after 270bhp) and ideally some wiseco 8.9:1 forged pistons. This should be good for upto 400bhp.

You will find that the B207 cams are very mild, even worse than the 244 degree standard z22se cams (n)

So add some CompCams turbo camshafts when you turbo it.

Mario

I will see what happens, I may need to throw an engine in sooner than I am planning as the 1.6 is really banging on deaths door now rather hard. may have to just chuck the Z22 in stock and then set to building the mother of all b207's lol

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
use the B207 as a base, fit the z22se crank, some steel rods (standard z22se will snap after 270bhp) and ideally some wiseco 8.9:1 forged pistons. This should be good for upto 400bhp.

You will find that the B207 cams are very mild, even worse than the 244 degree standard z22se cams (n)

So add some CompCams turbo camshafts when you turbo it.
@vocky do the wiseco pistons come with the gap to miss the piston squirter's ?

Mario

I am even more confused than ever as to what to do. aren't the 207 internals stronger than the 22 ones??? I am now giving serious thought to just fitting the full 207 with 22 cams and fitting a turbo to it and then in the future when I have bought one, fitting an SC too, if there isn't enough room down the back for a turbo I will make room as when this comes off the road to fit the engine it will be my project car as I fully intend to get a daily and keep this for fun lol

vocky

Staff
you can use the full b207 engine but you will need an external crank trigger wheel because the z22se ecu uses a 5+2 and the b207 a 60-2 trigger wheel

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I am even more confused than ever as to what to do. aren't the 207 internals stronger than the 22 ones??? I am now giving serious thought to just fitting the full 207 with 22 cams and fitting a turbo to it and then in the future when I have bought one, fitting an SC too, if there isn't enough room down the back for a turbo I will make room as when this comes off the road to fit the engine it will be my project car as I fully intend to get a daily and keep this for fun lol
the b207 is still limited by the pistons 300hp where as the z22se the limitations are the rods 250-260hp

Mario

either way I am going to have to buy pistons and rods, I think my long term plans will kill stock items, think I will keep both my 207's and fit one in close to stock form and then go to town on the other with wiseco pistons and steel rods and compcams.

I am also (on the advice of Evo again) going to look into DTA stand-alone so I can use the 207 crank, this will happen for the first engine and then it will get tweeked for the stage 2 engine.

So Stage 1 will see a b207r and DTA with 6sp running stock ish power.

Stage 2 will see upgraded internals and a bigger turbo with uprated clutch etc etc

Stage 3 if I get this far with-out killing myself or the car will be a twin charged set-up but this is a long way down the line.

so list of parts I need for Stage 1 which will take around 6 months I recon.
Recon kit for b207r
stock 207r turbo GT1752 (I think I was told somewhere) or what ever it is.
Medium Front mount intercooler.
2.5inch downpipe with sports cat and 2.5inch cat back.
DTA S60 stand-alone
Fast road clutch for Saab 9-3 b207r
Fold out DVD player to hook up the Data-logging.
a boost gauge
some boost piping

can any-one point out what I have over looked or missed please.

Mario

yeah DTA is at the top of the list unless I find something better lol.

there may be a Stage 0.5 added in which will be a basic 2.2 install as my Z16 is sounding increasingly sick, unless I sell the basic bare 2.2 and buy a dirt cheap banger to rally around in for a couple of months.​

Mario

Been sitting talking with my good lady and I am giving serious thought to just slapping in the 2.2 and being done with it at that, maybe a few subtle mods, ie balance shaft Delete, Headers, maybe a P&P head. it doesn't seem sensible to go all out insane on a car I intend to keep as a family car. I may get another one at some point and Pick-up it and then go nuts on it with a TwinCharge set-up so as a result I will start a for sale thread.

Mario

well Wed is D day, the Z22se is going in and I cant wait as that's when the true planning begins as I will finally be able to see what space I have to do what lol.