iPhone 5

Matt

Administrator
Sweet! Amy's contract is up for renewal in November, so we'll be getting her one then. I've got a 4 from work, so I'll be sacking my contract off when it's done as I can use the work one for personal use as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vocky

Staff
I just get a contract sim, they were £15, then £13 and now about £10 a month. Just need to get a nano-sim for the i5 or modify the micro-sim :cautious:

It works out cheaper to buy the phones than get them on contract, plus they are unlocked so you can easily swap the sim for another network.

vocky

Staff
disgusting service from apple, I waited in all day yesterday and nothing - feckers.

So after some chasing of my order this morning I had to go and collect it from the couriers as they just couldn't cope with all the deliveries :mad:

Anyway I cut down the contract micro-sim card and made it into a nano-sim, works perfectly (y)

There was no way I was going to queue up to get a new sim card and then the hassle of getting it swapped over after the hassle of actually getting the damn thing.

And was it worth it, not really it's hardly any different to a 4s :confused:

JohnnyN

Former Staff
How do you get around the different contact layout pattern between the sims or doesn't that affect anything?

vocky

Staff
there is a youtube video of how to modify the sim, very easy to do you just need to trim it down so that almost only the gold contacts are left, a sharp pair of scissors is all you need.

the contacts are exactly the same, it's just the plastic holder is smaller

rushy

I remember cutting down a normal sim to micro sim, i don't know of any other handsets using nano sims?
My xperia s has one. It was a right pain in the ass getting my phone numbers sync'd as I didn't back them up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Matt

Administrator
We are going to wait until January to upgrade the wifes phone to an iPhone 5, as Orange no longer do free early upgrades, they just give you a discounted rate to pay off the remaining contract.

Ian T

That's a good ad. I am typing this on an iPhone 4S that my mum gave me when she upgraded - my own phone is a Samsung Galaxy S, which I have had for almost the two year contract period now.

I wanted to try this out for myself because I've been happy with the Samsung but intrigued at the differences and apple friends have long said they are really happy with theirs.

It has been a mixed experience really, I like the bigger screen and more accurate touch on the samsung, but the iphone has better battery life. Samsung works far better in poor signal conditions and has a card slot which means I've got lots of storage. iPhone seems to be inextricably tied to iTunes and for an engineer like me is so dumbed down that I can't seem to get USB disk access to it to manipulate files on the storage device.

I doubt I will spend the money on the latest Samsung, but on the basis of this iPhone, I can't say I'm a convert either. Guess I will go for a SIM only contract at £5 per month with lots of calls and internet rather than the current £30 one that subsidised the Samsung.

The ad makes a few points though, clever marketing on both sides: Apple has the gloss, Ssung has the (technical) edge.

Ian.