cracked head??

jordy

Hi all I'm hoping I'm being paranoid but I'm a bit worried.
I've a z22yh 2.2 petrol which I recently had to change the rocker cover because the bolts had been done up so tight it had been cracked. When I took the old one off it had a lot of white gunk in the top which I hoped was just due to the crack letting moisture in even tho it was the opposite end of the cover.
My worry is I took cap off yesterday and found more on this and I have a feeling my coolant has dropped. Is it possible that when the bolts were overtightened it could have also cracked the head? Or is that unlikely.
Thanks everyone

astra22bertoneauto

Hi Jordy

If the spark plugs have been overtightened then yes the head might also be cracked. Usually no 4 spark plug so to check remove coil pack and have a look in the hole - if its cracked there will be water there.

P.S. are you from the netherlands?

jordy

Hi mate thanks for replying so quickly
I recently replace spark plugs and they didn't seem tight to get out. I was mainly worried about the 4 bolts running through the middle of the cover.
I'm from england. Why?

astra22bertoneauto

Have a good look around/underneath the engine for coolant leaks. Also does it smell like the engine is burning coolant at the exhaust tailpipe?

You could also try draining the coolant into a clear container or something you can look at the coolant with and see if there is any oil mixture. Then refill the coolant with fresh to the mark on the water bottle and make a note. It could just be the crack letting in moisture. If it is just a little leak a bit of radweld might seal it.

Another option is to get an oil & filter change and see what that comes out like. If that is all mayo then it confirms it - theres problems. If not good good etc.

Couple of cheap options to start with before doing any major work.

rushy

The Z22YH head's are not known to crack. I have found with my SE however that it slightly mayo's up in the winter, especially with the cool running stat that Autovaux are selling as like for like which there certainly not.

jordy

Ok thanks. The car just doesn't seem right its definitely got a bit noisy recently as well. I also noticed when I checked this morning there was a smear of mayo on the dipstick. I presume that's not good?

MikeS

Former Staff
take coil pack out and if there is no water inside the recesses then you most likely have not cracked the head

noisey check oil levels

mayo on dipstick and oil filler cap, blast down motorway for 30 mins, if cleared up then just normal caused by short runs, if worse then consider HG

jordy

Oil level is fine its just been changed few weeks back. But the noise is worrying me its definitely getting worse. I will take coil pack out and check.
Thanks again