2.2 Turbo...

TFD

Got a saab intake today from Exmantaa.... thanx mate
awww.vx220.org.uk_forums_public_style_emoticons_default_cheers.gif

TB-hole is 60mm

TB and ECU fit perfect 1-on-1

Manifold shuts the OEM pcv hole (from cilinderhead 2 -3) perfect shut.

Shut the manifold pcv to prevent unmetered air coming in in vacuum situation

Perfect fit with 120A alternator

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_I8WUYWNT.jpg

TFD

Short updat so far:

TMAP 2.5 bar placed. Used the OEM MAP hole but the gap is alrger then the rubbe r0-ring. So a little ghetto helper to keep the sensor down.
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_RABDK3SS.jpg

Blocked the crackhole to prevent dirty oil vapors getting into the manifold.
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_DRH6S7GM.jpg

New VXR injectors with connectors
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_HCCJJWNX.jpg

Added a new brake-booster nipple to the manifold
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_MKQ343D4.jpg

Inserted a 1-way valve into the EVAP line so the solonoid doesn't see boost
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_X4CNHRWC.jpg

Now I'm working on the intercooler and exhaust. New pics soon.

TFD

TMAP 2.5 bar placed. Used the OEM MAP hole but the gap is alrger then the rubbe r0-ring. So a little ghetto helper to keep the sensor down.
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_RABDK3SS.jpg

Blocked the crackhole to prevent dirty oil vapors getting into the manifold.
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_DRH6S7GM.jpg

Working in the intercooler

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_CSHPNJNK.jpg

... and the exhaust. Need some small stuff for it so will be done next week. A wideband and OBD-tuner and I think we're ready to roll.

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_CZWLFWN3.jpg

TFD

With a little cutting on the lower part the oem heatshield will perfectly fit. Good for oem look and prevents melting the boot.

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_O7SL7HO3.jpg

Final exhaust pic with heatwrapped u-bend.

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_FQEEZFXP.jpg

Got myself OBD-tuner.

Put poly inserts in while we're there..

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_48LUPQJZ.jpg

... and lost 7.5kg in total with the new exhaust. That's with a 5kg turbo included!
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_EPGHE8LI.jpg

Tomorrow is a nother day... hope to start her up before next weekend.

TFD

Installed the wideband and catchcan tonight, so why not try a teststart?
Vid is on cold engine. After a few minutes it ran nice at idle. Exhaustsound is also nice I think. Low and out there but not loud.
Fix some more little things an d of we go I guess.

TFD

Little update...

Due to some medical stuff with the missis, I didnt realy had much time to spend on the VX.
Did some testdriving this summer (well.... about two hours lol) to get the off-boost tune right (OBD-tuner). After long time not running the VX it made me giggle like a baby haha. 1500rpm and the car takes off when only looking at the paddle... instant powerrrr!
Didnt test the power cause I was only checking stuff out and see if all was well. Well.. it was not cause my oilreturn pipe was leaking badly.
After putting the car in the garage about august it took me till last week to simply weld a nice returnpipe:
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto540_NGBKERNR.jpg

So now the oilproblem seems to be solved and the oilpan is also back on (s**tty job from under the car and by yourself...), I can go on the make some nice ducting for the large intercooler. Small side pod for air intake but large holes around the IC is not good. Need all the air through the IC I can get my hands on.

Will keep you updated ;-)

Dave Gilbert

My turbo vectra has been running fine since june now.
killed the garret turbo within a few weeks so upgraded to the td04 14T off the saab 9-3 aero b207r engine and have the green injectors aswell to fit soon as i have some money.

got a lightened flywheel (z20let), c20let clutch and astra f23 gearbox to fit.

got a z22yh crank and getting new bearings for crank/conrods.

and new gm timing chain while im there

and balance shaft delete while doing all that i think

and then a remap and a dyno run to see what its running but we think it should easy see 250bhp.

TFD

I was looking at your thread to see how things ended up but due to not being here for a while it was quite a catchup to read haha. See you droped the ex. trigger and went for the z22yh cranck? This works well in the z20net?

Wat caused the garrett failure?

Dave Gilbert

The yh crank isnt fitted yet but will be in the new year.

the garrett seals went. Play in the shaft.

not sure what caused it as it had no play before fitting.

maybe the clutch slipping n me trying to boost made it over boost or spin up to fast(im not sure) but it still works juat blows smoke after reving.

TFD

Another small update so far.
Between breeding horses I also started to fiddle around with handling:

1" ARB and Nitron SS are replacing the old rusted stuff.
amyalbum.com_photo_Grr3GSCHIZke_360.jpg

amyalbum.com_photo_yPMwTyRt1TcI_360.jpg

amyalbum.com_photo_JDTAE62elLgx_360.jpg

Next week we continue with the welding of my intercoolerpipes (yes.. alu welding FTW. No clamps, hoses etc. and saves weight as well).

TFD

Had some time for more upgrades:

Regelin jacking shims fitted. Dont have to take off the panels anymore when lifting the rear during MOT. The less sneakypeak in the enginecompartment from the inspector the better...

amyalbum.com_photo_4mFYVlDpGAw9_360.jpg

Me and my mate fiddled around with alu welding. On the left the original testpipe and on the right the alu welded pipe. Less clamps on places you cant reach while all in situ, less chance to blow a pipe while boosting.... and also 1 kg less weight.
amyalbum.com_photo_qc2UDNcREVdU_360.jpg

To get rid of even more clamps I fitted another turbo-outletpipe and welded a longer pipe on it
amyalbum.com_photo_tWQQMiGJR3ZB_360.jpg

Old outlet vs. new outlet. Way more acces from below if needed.
amyalbum.com_photo_RLZHydZ1G8C9_360.jpg

Now fit it all and should be able to start her this weekend!

TFD

So a little update. Had some issues with the oilreturn leaking. Think it was the small inlet on the block (9.8mm hole...). Took the pan off and drilled/tapped it to 1/2 npt size Drilled the inserted bolt from 12.8mm to 14mm so we'll see how things go after this weekend.

Also managed to do some tuningwork with the OBD-tuner software.

amyalbum.com_photo_slyRdPgXza8A_720.jpg

Drop-off on the top is due to no fuel corrections available/stored in the ecu. Didn't drive enough >3600rpm to fill the fueltable correction.

I've got a boostspike at 0.85 bar and then drops to 0.65 bar. I'm now installing an electronic boostcontroller that I had laying around here. Should have known better and installed it the first time instead of a manual boostcontroller. AFR is now around 11.7 but I'm gonna lean it out to 11.9/12.0 and keep timing down a bit.
With the EBC I hope to manage a steady 0.9bar of boost across the line. An extra 0.25 bar of boost and 0.2 afr leaning out should get me an additional 30-40ish bhp I think.

In the meantime got my hardtop and some interiour parts painted in the car's color and tomorrow I'm gonna wrap the windscreen matt black. See how it goes.

TFD

Short update:

Due to massive knock that I think should not be there (phantomknock) I adjusted the KS with a thin gasket between the KS and the block. I also upgraded my sparkplugs to NGK ITR7IX-11 Iridiums gapped to .030 (0,7mm). This seemed to work good as normal knock was still detected but way less false knock. Timing was were it should be (16/17 instead of 13/14 degrees).

Oil leak is finaly solved and the car is 99% mapped for 0.5 bar boost and pushing out 240 bhp / 309Nm (227lbs).
Great fun drivin' it around now. Instant boost so great fun on the twisty B-roads.
Next few weeks I have some time off so will start with the 0.6 / 0.7 / 0.8 bar maps. Should see 260bhp (I hope so..)

amyalbum.com_photo_TKU9et2qwOnU_720.jpg

IAT's are still abit high at 55-65C when pushing it with powerruns and sitting still to map (heatsoak). When 70ish C and then running the car again at highway speeds the temp only drops back to 58-60C IAT.

So I started with the airflow. Ordered side vents from Eltech to replace the N/A mesh and create more inflow. Used some alu bolts to space the diffuser 1" from the clam:

amyalbum.com_photo_oBoyYJSJybL1_360.jpg

amyalbum.com_photo_hxRHvUnOT9oU_360.jpg

The Dutch trackers seem to have good cooling results by doing this. Not directly to do with the IAT's but a cooler/better vented enginebay seems a good thing on a mid engined car.