Z22yh noisy timing chain rattling

Hi everyone I have a zafira 2.2 z22yh with 78k on the clock and the timing chain is noisy/rattling and it's doing my tits in getting worse everyday. When I first bought the car it hadn't been serviced for a long time so I had a full service asap had the engine flushed and oil treatment added to the new oil to try quieten it down a bit but that didn't help. I been told it could be the tensioner and to replace with z20net tensioner. does anyone know if this will sort the problem? Took it in to Vauxhall spares and he recommended doin both chains he said it has 2? But it's going to cost £500 just for parts really don't know what to do. As don't want to be spending that sort of money. Also heard something blocks up if the engine hasn't been regularly serviced causing the chain to rattle is there way of sorting this? any help much appreciated.

figo126

poor servicing eats away at the chain guides, then they fall off into the engine and block the oil pick up pipe, so I'm sorry my friend before the chain jumps and knackers the engine , the only thing you can do is a take look , with only 78k doesn't mean anything if the engine hasn't been serviced? ive just myself bought genuine timing chain off ebay for £224 for both chain kits,, but I'm doing them myself ,,, so my advice to you is stop driving the car and get it looked at,,,,,,,

figo126

found a genuine z22yh timing chain kit ,£94.99 item number on ebay ,222273190617, cheapest on ebay,,, genuine balance shaft kit ,£109 item number 172264021892 , recommend to use genuine gm parts hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,

KevinH

If it has not had regular oil and filter changes, the chain can stretch and can ultimately cause a non start condition as the exhaust sprocket on the Z22YH has a cam sensor (the Z22SE is done by the DIS module). The paper oil filter element can disintegrate and block the oil nozzle spraying oil onto the chain for lubrication, thus causing the stretching (this tended to happen to the Z22SE's but I believe the YH's had the modified oil nozzle fitted).

It's really not worth changing just the timing chain tensioner for the latest type (Z20NET) as this alone costs about £80.00.

It could be that the ticking noise is coming from the balance chain and not the timing chain, but you won't know that until the cam cover and timing/oil pump cover is removed, and by then that really is half the job done in stripping it down, so might as well renew both chains with new kits (it would be rude not to do the balance chain at the same time).

I would personally recommend genuine GM kits which are available here:
Timing Chain Kit (this has a timing cover gasket & crankshaft oil seal included)
and
Balance Chain Kit

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, there is quite a good 'how to' on here:
https://z22se.co.uk/threads/how-2-fit-cam-chains.10042/. (it is for the SE but applies to the YH as well)

otherwise it would be prudent for you to contact evocarlos on the forum by way of a 'PM' (aka conversation).

Hope this helps out. :)

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
you should be able to get a pair of genuine chain kits supplied and fitted for around £500

whereabouts in the country are you ?

HarleyPete

As KevinH has said (and exactly what I was about to lol), poor servicing does them no favours (which is why mine gets an oil and filter every 5K). You would have to strip it to confirm which chain is making the noise and as Kev says, your better off doing both. I got mine done by evocarlos with a weekend away for me and the wife for way less than the £900 I had been quoted. Parts I got through the site shop when it was running but ebay is your best bet. You'll also need some sealant for the sump in case you have to drop it to retrieve the broken parts of the guide (I was lucky in that mine hadn't broken up at 90K odd).
You could also try these guys Vaux-world who are just down the road from me in Redhill not sure how they would compare price wise with the ebay one for the same parts (chain, gasket and seal) but the chain kit is quite cheap. I would add that it is best to get at least a genuine timing chain kit but you can use an after market balance chain. I used both genuine kits in mine just to be on the safe side.

Just had a quote to do both chains from premiere Vauxhall spares in Plymouth he rang me back and said are u sitting down £840 for genuine gm or £738 for aftermarket he said its £360 labour because it takes a day and half? Can anyone recommend someone else in the Plymouth that can do it as I can't afford that sort of price? Many thanks

KevinH

I believe Vauxhall Main Dealers charge 5 hrs labour + VAT for the job, so assuming £100 labour p/hr + VAT, you would be looking at around £600, however they complete the job in a day.
A timing chain kit from Vx dealer parts dept is about £240 and a balance chain kit £175 (both plus VAT)

Don't know anyone in the Plymouth area, but if you are able to travel the best man for the job has been mentioned above.

:)

Last edited:

patricks

Not sure what import duties apply over in the UK but you might want to consider a CLOYES timing kit (CLOYES part number 94201S) from www.rockauto.com in the USA at $117 USD . Cloyes actually supply the chain guides for the genuine gm kit and the rest of the kit is OEM quality. Ive done about 40,000 miles with this kit with no problems.

Nah he said £840 was including labour the labour being £360 which makes the parts £480 can get genuine myself off eBay for £300 for both chain kits but seen a thread on here saying it could be the heat shield on the manifold come loose so gunna check that first on the weekend. Then go from their so fingers crossed it is that. If not gunna have to keep trying around and try get the chains done cheaper elsewhere.

gsi2000

I had this problem earlier this year, chain rattle, although only on start up for 2/3 seconds, then one day refused to start, with the online help from a few guys on here giving advice i stripped it down, turned out to be a broken front guide rail causing the chain to slacken up to the point the day it didnt start, the chain was hanging off the crankshaft and couldnt turn the cams. i was lucky it didnt happen whilst engine was running, cos that would of meant piston and valve damage = more expense.
best to get it changed soon as you can, and buy the parts yourself rather than the garage, from past experience you can always get it cheaper yourself.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Thanks a lot guys don't for answerimg ,don't suppose this is how u reply but it's my first forum question
a garage with no knowledge of the engine will take 2-3 days and normally call back saying they cant do it

i do them in 4hours drive in and drive out and as vocky said thats with out any problems

I had this problem earlier this year, chain rattle, although only on start up for 2/3 seconds, then one day refused to start, with the online help from a few guys on here giving advice i stripped it down, turned out to be a broken front guide rail causing the chain to slacken up to the point the day it didnt start, the chain was hanging off the crankshaft and couldnt turn the cams. i was lucky it didnt happen whilst engine was running, cos that would of meant piston and valve damage = more expense.
best to get it changed soon as you can, and buy the parts yourself rather than the garage, from past experience you can always get it cheaper yourself.
I bought a balance shaft chain kit thinking that was it, so I've ordered the other FAI kit, do u know if their ok, so I've spoke to the fitter at work and he said he is goin to look into it for me, thanks for replying

gsi2000

Balance and timing chain can cause rattles. only way to be certain which is strip it down and check whats gone wrong really.
But while going to the expense of doing either chain ya may aswell do both at the same time, says hassle and a hole in ya pocket in the long run.
as everyone told me, go genuine. there are mixed reviews on fai kits, im sure vocky or evocarlos can shed more light on that

Balance and timing chain can cause rattles. only way to be certain which is strip it down and check whats gone wrong really.
But while going to the expense of doing either chain ya may aswell do both at the same time, says hassle and a hole in ya pocket in the long run.
as everyone told me, go genuine. there are mixed reviews on fai kits, im sure vocky or evocarlos can shed more light on that
Thanks