Z22yh noisy timing chain rattling

HarleyPete

evocarlos recommended to me along with many others that at the very least you should replace the timing chain with a genuine one but the balance chain can be a FAI one. When Carl did mine it was about six hours from drive in to drive out but that was with me chatting to him and stops for tea/bacon sanrnies, lol.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
evocarlos recommended to me along with many others that at the very least you should replace the timing chain with a genuine one but the balance chain can be a FAI one. When Carl did mine it was about six hours from drive in to drive out but that was with me chatting to him and stops for tea/bacon sanrnies, lol.
:) new diet means i dont eat anymore lol but still stop for tea
to add to the FAI balancer kit info there £69 for the fai and for the sake of £30 its just not worth the hassle and the fact that the gm part will do 10years like most of them have by now
its better advice to just spend the extra £30 and know its going to be better in the long run :)

KevinH

I saw this that's for the balance kit, I hav got a balance shaft chain kit, it's the larger of the two I need, cheers but

You won't get a genuine GM Timing Chain Kit for £100'ish

If it's for a Z22YH then see the link in post #22 above, and if it's for Z22SE then see here which does contain a new crankshaft seal and timing/oil pump cover gasket.

:)

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the yh chain set is exactly the same as the z22se kit other than the exhaust sprocket
if you have a z22se and buy a z22yh kit in error you just reuse the z22se ex cam sprocket
if you have a z22yh and buy a z22se kit in error you just reuse the z22yh ex cam sprocket

KevinH

The cheaper original chain is for yh that doesn't fit so Ebay say

The balance chain kit (part # 55563405) fit both the SE and YH engines - but some eBay sellers don't always get the timing chain kit compatibility correct. :)

Edit: The OP was originally referring to a YH engine, so I think a bit of confusion occurred. It's always best to start a new thread regarding your individual query stating your vehicle details e.g.engine code etc

Last edited:
the yh chain set is exactly the same as the z22se kit other than the exhaust sprocket
if you have a z22se and buy a z22yh kit in error you just reuse the z22se ex cam sprocket
if you have a z22yh and buy a z22se kit in error you just reuse the z22yh ex cam sprocket
Thanks for that,

The balance chain kit (part # 55563405) fit both the SE and YH engines - but some eBay sellers don't always get the timing chain kit compatibility correct. :)

Edit: The OP was originally referring to a YH engine, so I think a bit of confusion occurred. It's always best to start a new thread regarding you individual query stating your vehicle details e.g.engine code etc
Still getting to terms with this second day lol, thanks Kevin

KevinH

You don't actually require the tool because the timing chain comes with coloured links (two purple, one blue) so as long as you have the engine at TDC with the camshaft lobes of No. 4 cylinder at 10 o'clock (inlet) and 2 o'clock (exhaust) you can proceed to remove and install the chains.

evocarlos is the guru for doing the chains but unfortunately he is a fair distance from you (I see you're in Scotland). I believe IDI AMIN is in Glasgow so he could be a possible option.

:)

Last edited: