Z22YH chain questions

757-200

Hi there, was advised via vectra c owners to join here relating to chain questions. Bought a 2.2 direct signum back in dec with 55000 and full vx service history. I still have to carry out a full sevice on the car however its not done thousnds since the previous owner had it done. When the car is started from cold there is a noise for about 2 seconds from the chain then goes away. When the car is started from warm there is some sort of chain noise from the engine and it feels as if the engine wants to make an arse of itself when starting but once started it sorts itself out and runs normal. Yesterday it got even better, went to collect mum, as I stuck shopping in the car a loud rattling chain noise from under the bonnet, almost as if the chain had lost its tension for about 5 - 10 seconds then went back to normal. Since my ownership the car has always had a lumpy idle on tickover, no fault codes present however and all coils appear smooth on live data. I am clearly looking into having the chain done but I would also want the balance chain done at the same time (I have read that this can contribute to lumpy idle aswell if loose). I have found a genuine chain kit and balance chain kit on ebay BUT it does not include sprockets or oil sump to cylinder head gasket and am unsure if it will have the better tensioner from the z20net. Are new sprockets a priority or is it maninly a chain, tensioner and guides ?

KevinH

Rather unusual that it is making rattling noises at 55K with FSH however it is possible that one of the guides may have broken up, usually the front one.The recommendation is to replace the chains after 100K miles or 10 years (whichever is sooner) as obviously the chains can stretch but also the guides become brittle as they are plastic.

Here are some links for the two genuine GM chain kits for the Z22YH:
Timing Chain Kit

This kit includes the Z20NET tensioner, timing/oil pump cover gasket, crankshaft & camshaft sprockets (on the Z22YH the camshaft exhaust sprocket has a cam sensor), and a crankshaft oil seal.

Balance Chain Kit
This kit contains all sprockets required including both balance shaft sprockets (but usually these don't require changing unless excessively worn)

If you plan to do renew the chains yourself, it would be wise to have some instant gasket just incase the sump requires removing due to debris of one of the guides falling into it and possibly obstructing the oil pickup.

Hope that helps. :)

Edit: the links only seem work properly if you right click and open in new tab :banghead:

Last edited:

757-200

Rather unusual that it is making rattling noises at 55K with FSH however it is possible that one of the guides may have broken up, usually the front one.The recommendation is to replace the chains after 100K miles or 10 years (whichever is sooner) as obviously the chains can stretch but also the guides become brittle as they are plastic.

Here are some links for the two genuine GM chain kits for the Z22YH:
Timing Chain Kit

This kit includes the Z20NET tensioner, timing/oil pump cover gasket, crankshaft & camshaft sprockets (on the Z22YH the camshaft exhaust sprocket has a cam sensor), and a crankshaft oil seal.

Balance Chain Kit
This kit contains all sprockets required including both balance shaft sprockets (but usually these don't require changing unless excessively worn)

If you plan to do renew the chains yourself, it would be wise to have some instant gasket just incase the sump requires removing due to debris of one of the guides falling into it and possibly obstructing the oil pickup.

Hope that helps. :)

Edit: the links only seem work properly if you right click and open in new tab :banghead:

Thanks for the helpful reply and useful links you provided me with, in regards to the FSH I am starting to think that goes for nothing now! Even the gearbox bearings may need attention at some point due to vx fitting such s**t gearboxes (m32). Back to the chains...Im hoping that getting this done will cure the lumpy idle, read about one guy tracing lumpy idle back to the balance shaft chain being loose and rattling, it may well be the balance chain thats at fault rather than the timing chain itself. Plan to purchase the parts myself and get someone to fit once I have found a decent price. Am I best to go genuine for the balance chain aswell ?

Thanks

KevinH

At least the car has a service history, which means the oil and filter has been changed once a year. A lack of oil changes is detrimental to these engines leading to chain failures and catastrophic engine damage.

As you say the balance chain could well be the problem and quite often is found to be slacker than the timing chain. I personally recommend genuine GM chain kits for both, although slightly more expensive, they fit properly, they last, the job only has to be done once and will give you peace of mind. Some of the aftermarket kits don't fit properly and a couple of members have found the balance chain tensioners have become faulty after a few thousand miles.

Last edited:

757-200

I got a quote today, £180 for the timing chain to be fitted and allow for up to an hours labour for for the balance chain, the mechanic tells me that he has just done a chain on a 2.0 turbo saab which is pretty much the same engine as the 2.2 direct, overall I felt that quote seemed rather good compared to some other ridiculous ones I have read about.

HarleyPete

That seems a very good price. It's six hours I believe (although the guru evocarlos can probably do them quicker) and as KevinH says, have some instant gasket handy for the sump just in case. When Carl did mine it took six hours with me chatting and listening. I fitted genuine chains as recommended by a few guys on here. I enquired of a local place through a work colleague and they quoted me £900. I got it done cheaper than that with me supplying the parts and Carl doing the work with a weekend away with the wife as well.