Z22yh cam chains

Hi everyone started my car up this morning got the Rattle from the off side end it's rattling all the time so I'm thinking chain and balancer car has full service history oil change every year and has done 81000 does anyone know a decent mechanic in the stockport area with knowledge of these engines for changing the chains

KevinH

Hi Steve,

Good that you have a FSH, but as you now have the 'dreaded rattle', as you say it's time to renew the chains. It is quite likely that the balance chain has stretched more than the timing chain. I would recommend renewing them with genuine GM kits which will last and you won't end up having to replace them again in a few thousand miles like some of the aftermarket kits.

Your best to contact 'evocarlos' (Carl) via 'pm' (conversation) on this forum. He's a guru with the Z22SE/YH engines and can do the chain work for you - he's located in Shropshire, not too far from you.

Hope that helps. :)

Hi everyone started my car up this morning got the Rattle from the off side end it's rattling all the time so I'm thinking chain and balancer car has full service history oil change every year and has done 81000 does anyone know a decent mechanic in the stockport area with knowledge of these engines for changing the chains
Hi I just did my chain on a z22se after a few weeks started again so had a look, yesterday the big guide with adjuster at top bolt at bottom, the bolt had snapped, so I fixed it primed the adjuster but I can hear it moving, the adjuster might be knackered I'm guessing, what else can it be dont think I've bent valves??

Hi vocky I stay across the road from a good wee shop called Car Gear he can get most things but can't get it as it's part of a set just like the gears, think it's the tensioner too☹️
How much would a cheap head come in about, Im hoping it's not a valve problem too, don't want to get rid of car cause Ave had it for a few years now 3rd astra first Bertone,money is fairly tight right now too, for things like heads, would love a set of cams on anew head, really it's the blower I want, do u know where I can get a tensioner ?

#72 minutes ago

Last edited:
might be worth fitting another tensioner ?

Hi vocky I stay across the road from a good wee shop called Car Gear he can get most things but can't get it as it's part of a set just like the gears, think it's the tensioner too☹️
How much would a cheap head come in about, Im hoping it's not a valve problem too, don't want to get rid of car cause Ave had it for a few years now 3rd astra first Bertone,money is fairly tight right now too, for things like heads, would love a set of cams on anew head, really it's the blower I want, do u know where I can get a tensioner ?

#72 minutes ago

IDI AMIN

Hi I have a new one of this one that fires onto chain ok, it's the small one that sits inside

The one that sits inside the chain area is called the balance shaft chain tensioner. The kit costs £130. I got mine over a year ago for £100, So the price has gone up a bit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...hash=item2ebd48d162:m:mohzoaLujE9Fpcf4VZ3ZdIw

It would be advisable to replace the whole lot. chain, tensioner and rails for the price.

I am not sure what the price of the tensioner alone would be, it probably would not be far away from the price of the full kit.

If that is what you are after maybe you should check with the Autovaux website.

119045-d11e2c9ecfa4f62cb15610585ce5ea97.jpg

If the chain looks like this and is touching the casing, then the tensioner is pumped and it's time to get a new one.

Usually two full rotations of the crankshaft is a way to tell if everything is functioning properly

Cheers I got my timing bang on turned engine round good few times and the coloured links are running out, I'm now taking the head off , think it's a valve , head is stuck solid,any tips how to get it off??