Z22SE turbo build with saab parts Help!

mex_sri

Hi mates, my name is Roberto. I live in Mexico, and i'm a big fan of this forum. I recently bought an astra g sri 2.2.

I'm saving money to make a turbo conversion with saab parts, thanks to you guys i know that B207R manifolds are swappable with Z22se.

Ok so, what would like to do is to use:

1) the b207 bottom end (just because its got the oil squirters, the oil radiator and the oil lines to feed turbo
2) use the z22se crankshaft with rod and pistons
3) use the b207r cylinder head (because the bigger ports and valves are better. This with both manifold)

These are my plans, now i need help to know if is this possible specially the part of swap the crankshaft... any help would be really apreciate

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
hey Roberto
1) yes
2) yes but rods are only good for 250hp
3) yes but the ports are the same size as the 2.2 lost foam cylinder head

im in the process of building a Saab 2.2 hi-bread with 2.2 crank and 2.2 forged rods and pistons but i went with the cobalt supercharger the saab turbo is tiny and theres not alot of room down the back for a big one

mex_sri

Hey Carlos! thanks for your help, i really apreciate it. About the rods it's ok, im looking to achieve maybe 200-220hp. About the ports i thought there were bigger on saab head, i have been reading your thead and i guess you used two inlet cams from a z22se in the saab head or am i grong?

Why didn't you used z22se crank and rods/pistons from b207r?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Hey Carlos! thanks for your help, i really apreciate it. About the rods it's ok, im looking to achieve maybe 200-220hp. About the ports i thought there were bigger on saab head, i have been reading your thead and i guess you used two inlet cams from a z22se in the saab head or am i grong?

Why didn't you used z22se crank and rods/pistons from b207r?
no problem its what im here for :)
for 200-220 the standard 2.2 engine would be fine ive been running 267hp for the last 5months with out problems yet! (bit close to the rod limit lol)
the ports are pretty much the same size 38mm wide and 23mm high
i have indeed installed 2 z22se inlet cams into the saab head but the engine is far from finished they may get changed in the new year when funds allow me to

the B207R is a 2.0l engine the rods and pistons are stronger than the z22se ones but not by much there also different down to the centre to centre of the crank journals with the 2.2 crank having a longer throw the rods and pistons are different also even tho there still 86mm pistons
the other issue with using the saab crank is the reluctor ring on the saab its a 60-2 bolt on and on the z22se is cast into the crank and is a 6+1
the easiest solution for me was to use a 2.2 crank then get forged rods and pistons to go with the saab sand cast head i ported

i could of quite easily of used the saab crank rods piston by using an external reluctor ring but im pushing for power so went for the 2.2 build after i found a good 2nd hand crank :)

also have included a copy of the saab "ecotec" build book attached to this post
in the final pages of the pdf all the specs are listed :)

Attachments

• saab_ecotec_performance_guide.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 1,465

mex_sri

Thank you again Carlos! you are the man! now about the ecu... is it only a remap needed to get things in order right? i mean, i can use the original ecu with the new turbo setup. The fuel feed keeps the same too?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
:)
well the standard ecu wont see boost only vacuum the supercharger remap from Courtenay sport changes this and lets it see boost there are more options with the z22se ecu the Dutch software makes the ecu more like a fully programmable one
there is another option to leave the standard ecu as is and fit a secondary fuel controller with injector ive not looked in to this as i went with the CS supercharger remap
you could also go full after market ecu and do your own tuning on a rolling road

the fuel system on the uk spec astra 2.2 is the return style and very good up to 250hp after that a higher flow fuel pump would be required

Maverick

Is there enough room in the Astra engine bay to fit the Turbo from a Vectra C/Saab 900?

I was under the Impression there was not enough room?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Is there enough room in the Astra engine bay to fit the Turbo from a Vectra C/Saab 900?

I was under the Impression there was not enough room?
nout a lump hammer could not sort :) but then not sure i would want a turbo from a vec c or saab 900
i managed to get an air drill down the back so theres more room than you think :)
not an astra but it looks like there's less room in this pic
IMG_20110807_141737.jpg

Martin Hill

would that engine fit into the astra coupe ? if so what parts do i need and how much have you spent so far (am new to the site so any discretional mistakes i apologise lol) im building a fully modified astra coupe convertable and im board with the power output and i dont really wanna be spending 6G on a supercharger only to see 100bhp increase, is there any way of being able to make the engine more tunable with out going big on budget

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
would that engine fit into the astra coupe ? if so what parts do i need and how much have you spent so far (am new to the site so any discretional mistakes i apologise lol) im building a fully modified astra coupe convertable and im board with the power output and i dont really wanna be spending 6G on a supercharger only to see 100bhp increase, is there any way of being able to make the engine more tunable with out going big on budget
you dont have to spend 6g on it :) i spent £1200 for +126hp
z22se supercharged :)
WP_001599 (Medium).jpg

i then moved one :)

Martin Hill

Just tried the link and it took me straight to ebay for a cobolt ss lsj gm ecotec 2004-2007 2.0 2.2 2.4 kit is this right, im some what an ammature when it comes to mods all i know is i wanna learn whilst screaming round a race track (because road racing is illeagal.....of course) :")

corsaZ22se

that's a base kit only you do not need the injectors. depends how much power you are after which injectors you go for. up to 260bhp you need z20let injectors, and above then you need bigger, im going for z20leh which should be good for 300bhp with uprated fuel pump.

Martin Hill

that's a base kit only you do not need the injectors. depends how much power you are after which injectors you go for. up to 260bhp you need z20let injectors, and above then you need bigger, im going for z20leh which should be good for 300bhp with uprated fuel pump.
If anything im only looking for around 200-220 to start me off as ive never owned anything over 170, plus my car is a daily runner so would like to keep the fuel on the more eco side :"D (as if thats gonna happen)....................````((0)===o>.............:"D
I did manage to find a full set up from your link as the guy is selling everything including the pretensioner pulley, now i know ima sound like a complete newbie (cause i am) but will everything from the cobolt transfer straight over or do i need to do some tweaking, cheers for all the info so far, i cant wait to purchase the kit you found, only two weeks (fingers crossed) also will i be needing to upgrade any of the internals to start off at the power im wanting