Z22SE to 2.4?

Joshy

Hello all, my first post here.

Im on other forums like migweb and passionford as well...

First off, let me appoligise for my lack of knowledge regarding these specific engines. I know that there chain driven with twin balence shafts, 16 valves, and an under-square design, but thats about the lot im afraid...

Ive been looking at this engine as a possible swap into my MK1 nova instead of the usual C20XE's that people commonly use, mostly as its different, its larger (specifically the 2.4's im interested in) and the long stroke should make for interesting torque in a stripped 700KG nova. I intend to keep in N/A with around 200-220bhp on throttle bodies.

My question is, what has to be done to the l61 to enlarge it to 2.4L like the american LE5?

sorry if its been mentioned before, i had a look round and read through some of "Vocky"s posts (very impressed by the way) :clap:

Thanks

Josh

vocky

Staff
you will need to import a LE5 engine from the states, it is a VVT 2.4 version of our z22se engine, but you would be advised to fit the z22se head or saab head to remove the VVT (y)

one member on here has already fitted the 2.4 VVT into his vx220 with the webcon throttle bodies kit :D

I have been thinking of importing one for my next project and with some other mods will create a 2.5 engine 8)

Joshy

Thanks for the reply :D

Maybe i'll have to stick with the 2.2 for the moment then, and swap in an LE5 later... Are the engine mount's and bellhousings the same throughout the z22se range? (including LE5?)

I want to run it on stand alone hoping to keep the twin VVT active and controlled, maybe going for motec?

Thanks for the thread posted above (y)

Josh

vocky

Staff
yes the bellhousing is the same on all the blocks - saab b207, z20net, z22se, L61, LE5, LSJ, LNF (y)

but you are limited to the z22se F23 or z22yh M32 six speed gearboxes

my advice would be the zafira A z22se 4.17 gearbox for better accelleration :D

si.c1978

from expierience you may end up modifying the thermostat housing in some cases as there can be bosses and stuff on the gearbox that can and will crush it, as i found!

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
1,2,3,4,5 limiter
or
1,2,,,,3,,,,,4,,,,5 :) standard f23 box lol

i wonder what splines are on the f40 drive shafts ?