Z22se rebuild

2.2matt

Hi, just a quick question.... hopefully, bought a astra sri 2.2 back in feb and have been rebuilding the engine since, its had:
piston rings
big end bearings
big end bolt
16x new valves
16x New valve guided
16x valve stem seals
head skim,clean and decoke
all valves lapped in
16x new tappets
new timing chain kit
new head gasket
new water pump
new oil and filter
egr blanked off
new head bolts
new 3pc clutch kit

right, when i was building it, it was on a stand in the shed the whole time, the mistake i think i made was with the timing chain, fitted it correctly only to have to remove it again to fit a head bolt that was missed ( one of the small ones). when i was torquing the cam bolts back up stupidly in a rush i forgot to lock the cams, and the crank was locked. it was the inlet cam i was tightening and as it got to being at the correct torque i heard a click, checked everything on the chain and components and couldnt see anything wrong, so now that its back in ive got a slight problem, the engine starts and runs, but it seems to be ticking, not very load but load enough, also the engine seems to be 'shaking' at idle :think: and sounds like every now and again its misfiring, only slightlty. and when driving the car it is fast but dosent seem to be as fast as it shoulld be, is it possible that maby the chain slipped and is out by a couple of teeth and thats whats causing the problems? its done aboute 15 miles since the rebuild, i need to sort it out before next week realy as i need to get it on the road, any advice would be great (y)
thanks

sandyc

Sounds like the chain may have jumped a tooth. Did you fit the tensioner before or after you torqued the camshaft bolts??

2.2matt

reset the timing today and it was out so thats sorted now thanks for the replies guys (y) unfortunatley found an even bigger problem now tho, there isnt any oil getting to the tappets, sounds like a diesel ): it was doin this before i did the timing chain but thought it was the chain that was causing it but it wasnt, oil is getting to the filter housing but not to the head, any ideas anyone?

sandyc

You could either have a weak oil pump or a blocked oil way in the block. I hope it aint the latter as it isnt easily fixed.
Did you replace the timing cover gasket with the correct item? Part of that seals the oil feed from the pump.
I presume that you spun it over with the plugs out till the oil light went out before you started it for the first time?

2.2matt

sandyc said:
You could either have a weak oil pump or a blocked oil way in the block. I hope it aint the latter as it isnt easily fixed.
Did you replace the timing cover gasket with the correct item? Part of that seals the oil feed from the pump.
I presume that you spun it over with the plugs out till the oil light went out before you started it for the first time?

hey, yes it has been replaced and its the correct gasket, and it was turned over to before started, dont know if it would make a difference but its running on cheap 20w50 oil, could it maby be that its too thick? ive put engine flush in and going to drain it tomorrow, got some gm 10w40 to go in with a new filter, also going to take the oil pressure reliefe valve out and check it, its been sittin in a shed for 8 months so maby its got stuck dunno.. but oil is getting to the oil filter housing so not too sure if it is that, think the next option is a new oil pump and timing chain cover, can get one for £180 from vx so not going to be cheap

B

brainscott

Re: t

Hi Everyone

Quick question, how easy or difficult is it to swap the standard 2.2 engine with the Z20LET or Z20LEH?

I understand you have to change some auxiliary parts such as ECU, Fuel Pump, Brakes etc, but is it possible and how much does it cost?

Could I do an engine change for 3k-4k?

Cheers,

Matt

Administrator
Re: t

brainscott said:
Hi Everyone

Quick question, how easy or difficult is it to swap the standard 2.2 engine with the Z20LET or Z20LEH?

I understand you have to change some auxiliary parts such as ECU, Fuel Pump, Brakes etc, but is it possible and how much does it cost?

Could I do an engine change for 3k-4k?

Cheers,
Have a look at sdbutlers thread he did on the swap to a Z20LET. There is quite a bit of information in there. (y)

reset the timing today and it was out so thats sorted now thanks for the replies guys (y) unfortunatley found an even bigger problem now tho, there isnt any oil getting to the tappets, sounds like a diesel ): it was doin this before i did the timing chain but thought it was the chain that was causing it but it wasnt, oil is getting to the filter housing but not to the head, any ideas anyone?
Hi Matt, Did you solve the issue with no oil getting to the tappets and sounding like a diesel? My Son's 2005 SRI Astra has this exact symptom.