Z22SE inlet cam wanted

Black

My car seems to be fitted with a one off power steering pump which is proving impossible to replace. The regular power steering pump has an allen key type head on the input shaft which slots into an allen key type hole in the end of the inlet cam shaft, I am after thet standard camshaft which seems to have this allen hole in the end of it, anyone help please?

JohnnyN

Former Staff
The inlet cam on the Vectra is unique. Its the only z22se engine in the range that drives the powersteering pump by a hexagonal drive. You will need to get a Vectra specific inlet cam or maybe buy a normal inlet and have the hex drive machined into the end. Try ATOM X (Lee) to see if he can offer any advice? He may even have one?

:wink:

Black

Funny you say that. My vectra seems to have the regular slot in the end of the cam like some other vauxhalls! I was thinking of getting the pump machined to fit my cam.

Vauxhall are telling me that the only pump available for my engine is the hex end,despite me showing them pictures of my pump being different!! LOL

Black

This is the input shaft on my existing power steering pump:

ebcd11cf.jpg

This is the input shaft on the pump I got from ebay, and what Vauxhall are telling me is the only drive that comes with the pumps:

ec05efd9.jpg

Plus its what I am being told by a lot of breakers is the only way they come, despite mine clearly being different! LOL!

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Can you not strip the pump drive shaft and swap it over? It's been a long time since I took mine off. I had to replace the seals on mine a few years ago.

Black

If I can get a small enough and hard enough toolto lift out an end of the C ring I would do that, but I'm on a budget as I lost my job (n)

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I've been answering and viewing this topic on my phone until now. Looking at that old pump, you could modifiy your hex drive pump by putting 2 flats on it? Looking at the picture when its enlarged on my screen, the drive shafts look very similar looking end on. Almost as if your old pump could have been modified at some stage in the past??

Are you sure that the inlet cam you have fitted at the moment is OE?

notsure.gif

Black

Good question. I do not know the history of the engine, though based on the wiring loom and the coolant return pipe it has had work done to it. I also found that the ECU wasn't bolted to the inlet manifold, nor was the dipstick tube.

But there are no tool markings on the drive of the old pump.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Look at the distance between the center point of the drive to the flat 'top' and center to the flat 'bottom'. Its offset which makes me wonder if its just bad machining or it has been manually modified?

Here's another idea.....The inlet cam needed replacing in a previous life and it came without the hex socket which is unique to a Vectra z22se. Its far easier to machine a parallel slot into the end of a shaft as opposed to machining a hex or using EDM to produce the hex. Then the pump was modified by machining 2 flats on it to fit the parallel slot.

:think: :think: :think:

Black

Well, it could be that,but as I say it isn't the problem now that I have sealed the pump. Its now a high pressure line is seeping fluid.

I'm almost toying with the idea of replaing the engine altogether now tbh. I'm almost thinking of getting an x25xe for the car! LOL