Z22SE Alternator Repair

Engine / Transmission Z22SE Alternator Repair

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
so got real bored with the rain not letting me fix my blowing exhaust
i moved in to the batcave and took an alternator apart to see about fixing it :)
bearing #1 off
WP_000242.jpg

slip rings look good
WP_000243.jpg

bearing #2 off
WP_000244.jpg

with a new regulator and bearings this would be a working alternator :)
WP_001337.jpg

if you have any dead ones about PM me :)

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
new bearings
WP_000254.jpg

main case bearing hole
WP_000255.jpg

new main bearing fitted
WP_000256.jpg

new rear bearing fitted and a coat of VHT on the innards
WP_000257.jpg

retaining screws refitted
WP_000258.jpg

all bolted back together and spinning nice
WP_000259.jpg

next step to bench test it :)

Matt

Administrator
Matt submitted a new resource:

Z22SE Alternator Repair - Fix a broken alternator

so got real bored with the rain not letting me fix my blowing exhaust
i moved in to the batcave and took an alternator apart to see about fixing it :)
bearing #1 off
View attachment 39484

slip rings look good
View attachment 39485

bearing #2 off
View attachment 39486

with a new regulator and bearings this would be a working alternator :)
View attachment 39487

if you have any dead ones about PM me :)

new bearings
View attachment 39488

main case bearing hole
View attachment 39489...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

So whats the cost of the new bearings carlos
I thought of dismantling one myself a couple months back when mine died on me but couldn't get it apart then after a short scan on the net i found out it could be the regulator thats done. ialso thought you could maybe open up the regulator and put new brushes in there but couldnt get that open either .Have you tried that yourself.
I know that a lot of electric spinning tools have the carbon brushes in them and when they are worn the machine will stop turning whatever it is ,so thats why i thought you could do the same with the alternator just stick in new carbon brushes and it would be alright again

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
bearings were about £15 for the pair i got heavy duty skf so they were a bit more £ over the standard type bearing
there are 2 main things that can fail
1 - diode pack
2 - regulator

the diode pack can be tested with a multimeter while its fitted to the alternator its easy to show if there are any dead you can either replace the diode pack or replace the individual diodes as long as its not bunt the mounts most likely easier to replace the hole pack

the regulator is the most common thing to go and are quite cheap to replace and only 3 screws that hold it on and the brushes are part of the regulator :)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
next one came today but got bumped in the post
WP_000293.jpg

you can see at some point the +12v cable has been shorted melting the casing
WP_000294.jpg

WP_000296.jpg

with the rear cover removed the regulator and diode pack is shown
WP_000299.jpg

with the regulator removed you can see this one has short brushes
WP_000300.jpg

the wear is also visible on the slip rings
WP_000301.jpg

this alternator has a clutch pulley that seams to be defective as it spins both ways with out locking
WP_000302.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
had to take this one apart from the back side 1st the pulley was unremovable
the diode pack on the right you can see the diodes pushed in to the alloy case
WP_000304.jpg

the coils of enameled wire
WP_000305.jpg

accidentally broke the bearing slip ring cover
WP_000306.jpg

to get the pulley off i ended up welding the inner and outer parts to make it solid then clamp the shaft in the vice and then tackled it with stilsons
WP_000307.jpg

then took the slip rings off as there done
WP_000309.jpg

same black paint on the innards to stop more rust
WP_000310.jpg

and the case
WP_000311.jpg
need to order new slip rings then it will get rebuilt :)

Dave One

Carl,

Buddy, need your help. What wires come off the alternator, in particular charging? I'm thinking of using a split charge system to remotely control my Car PC without draining the car :).

Cheers,
Dave

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Carl,

Buddy, need your help. What wires come off the alternator, in particular charging? I'm thinking of using a split charge system to remotely control my Car PC without draining the car :).

Cheers,
Dave
blue/white i think its in the connector infornt of the relay box

IDI AMIN

Carlos do you have a link to a place for a new set of bearings been looking on e bay and seen some but not quite sure if they are proper size etc . as you have done this im sure you would have a better idea correct size or is there a standard size that would fit all.
Had a major nightmare yesterday going from Stirling back to Glasgow after a night shift. a half hour journey that turned into a 4 hour + episode. my alternator packed up on me and it was only in about 4 months . Last time i replaced mine it lasted a couple of years so i would like to rebuild one to hopefully avoid this happening again

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Carlos do you have a link to a place for a new set of bearings been looking on e bay and seen some but not quite sure if they are proper size etc . as you have done this im sure you would have a better idea correct size or is there a standard size that would fit all.
Had a major nightmare yesterday going from Stirling back to Glasgow after a night shift. a half hour journey that turned into a 4 hour + episode. my alternator packed up on me and it was only in about 4 months . Last time i replaced mine it lasted a couple of years so i would like to rebuild one to hopefully avoid this happening again

slip rings
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151128783583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

bearing and slip ring kit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150800623860?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

the regulator you will have to contact him about i got one locally for £25 bnib
he also sells the diode pack :)