z20let coolant level

2.216v

Hi i have bought myself an astra G turbo convertible.i have had the car for about a month or so..have had cambelt and water pump changed within last few weeks..noticed tht the coolent needs to be topped up every week or so. the level goes from being about a cm above the max line round header tank to just under the line going round the header tank..is this normal? This is first time iv owned a turbo'd car..i have looked for signs of head gasket..but water is clear..and no mayo under oil filler cap..or on dipstick..also there is no white smoke or any coloured smoke from exhaust.
could water pump have a leak? Or is this normal for z20let engine

2.216v

The level of water has gone down enough to make coolant warning light come on in the trip computer..(coolent level). But the actual level is just under the line that goes round the header tank.

Matt

Administrator
No, it's not normal for it to loose coolant.

Are you able to check around the cambelt cover to see if there is any sign of coolant leaking out from around there? Place a bit of cardboard under the car over night, and see if there is any coolant on there in the morning.

vocky

Staff
might be worth trying a brand new genuine coolant cap, sometimes they let the pressure get too high and cause coolant loss.

Other than that; coolant hoses, heater matrix, water pump, main rad or the head gasket are the other possible sources of coolant loss.

2.216v

Hi..thank you both for your replies. il try putting the cardboard under the car and see if coolant leaks..hoping its a leak rather then headgasket. The engine isnt showing any signs of headgasket issues though.

Hi,

I also lost a lot of coolant after i had renewed the chains and waterpump, somethimes its very hard to see where its coming from.
i would advice to feel with your hands down the hoses, and waterpump and see and feel also smell if its coolant that is leaking.
When you have drived the car for 30 mins or something, turn it of and let it cool down after 1 hour go get a look under the car if you see it dripping coolant anywhere.

Also read this topic.
http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php/555444-z20let-loosing-coolant-with-no-leaks

I also readed on a Dutch opel forum, about the z20let that, it somethimes can happen that the coolanttank got some little cracks on the attachment points and it only leaks when it is on boost and that its very hard to see.

Also inspect the radiotor plugs, a plug of my radiator also leaked, the rubber ring whas completely gone and needed a replacement.
After that the problem whas stil there and i noticed that the pipe that goes to the waterpump whas leaking at the O-ring but i dont know if the turbo engine is the same as a 2.2

After all somethimes its so hard to see, specially when it doesnt leak very hard or meaby the coolant just vapor away while driving or it gets burnt do the heat of the engine. so be patience :p

The mechanic said to me when it is your headgasket it runs like crap and got a oil smell in the coolant tank. or coolant in the oil.
You can test if there is coolant in your oil, get your dipstick out of the engine and put a lighter on the oil, if it makes popping noise its coolant. i dont know if this is very true i just heard this tip

Justmy2cents

Last edited:

2.216v

Thanks mate.
Looks like iv found the problem..radiator. here is a couple of pics..havnt had a chance to see exactly where but there is water on oneside of rad at the bottom drivers side.

Attachments

• 20140116_120121.jpg
    20140116_120121.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 663
  • 20140116_120228.jpg
    20140116_120228.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 602

2.216v

I dont say its the red plug, from looking at the picture it doesnt leak from there.
Meaby the radiator is leaking or the hoses that goes tho the radiator i dont know.
Just check it and let it fix or do it yourself.

m4rtin

have you tried what matt said with the cardboard? Mine was leaking around the same rate as yours and used to leave little pools under the car when parked up overnight. Turns out it was leaking from the water pump . As a temporary fix i used a bottle kseal and hasn't leaked since nor have i had to top up the coolant in almost 12 months!

2.216v

have you tried what matt said with the cardboard? Mine was leaking around the same rate as yours and used to leave little pools under the car when parked up overnight. Turns out it was leaking from the water pump . As a temporary fix i used a bottle kseal and hasn't leaked since nor have i had to top up the coolant in almost 12 months!

havnt tried putting the cardboard underneath yet..only because i can now see that the coolant is coming out from the rad. im going to check all the hoses/pipes that connect to the rad to see where its coming out from..prob best to let it warm up abit before i check as the pressure should cause it to leak
more. but it is pretty gradual. if it is the rad rather then one of hoses is it ok to use kseal? and do u leave it in the cooling system or once the leak is blocked can u drain the system and put fresh coolant in?

If i whas you i would try to fix the problem, putting leaking stoppers in coolant and stuff just sucks, it goes to places where you dont want it to be.
And can only cause more problems to your waterpump and engine.

Matt

Administrator
I'd not put leak stopper in as the coolant goes through the turbo, and they are flaky on the LET at the best of times.

2.216v

Cool thanks Matt,thats why i was doubting wether to do it..best thing to do is check where on rad its defo coming from..hopefully its just a hose and quick easy repair.

MikeS

Former Staff
jack the car up and start her from cold then get underneath and watch where the steam is coming from, going from the top is pointless as steam rises lol

rads are pretty cheap