Worth rebuilding my engine or buy another?

vx220

Hi guys just after a bit of advice on my engine. I recently did a trip to the nurburgring in my vx220, before I went the car was using a small amount of oil probably about 1L every 2000miles. during the trip I did about 1100 miles and used 5L of oil, then after I got back I did around another 200 miles which used another 3L. So in other words it’s using a horrendous amount of oil. The milage is about 75k

So I’ll be pulling the engine but was wondering do people think it’s worth rebuilding this engine or just trying to find another engine to rebuild. I know no one can really say for sure but was hoping you lot with a bit more experience with these engines could give me a rough idea. I’m hoping to get away with having the bores honed, new ring and new valve stem oil seals. Obviously ill measure the bores and check the valve guides etc.

I also plan on doing the clutch, timing chain, a lightened flywheel and balance shaft delete at the same time.

As I say I know no one can say if this engine is saveable or not without tearing it down but my expertise are in old mini engines so was hoping yous with more knowledge on these engines would be able to give me a rough idea.

Thanks
Chris

gynge

Do you plan to do it by your self, or a garage?
If you are doing by your self, I would buy an other engine, so you can do it in your own pace. The prices on an engine is so little in UK(my opinion)

corsaZ22se

best getting a replacement engine.
rebuilds can get costly. chain set will be £250 if you shop around, rings, bearings and bolts will soon add up.
worth getting head work done while its apart and lightend flywheel.
vocky evocarlos will be able to help more.

vocky

Staff
at 75k it's worth building a new engine, the donor b207 engines from Neo's are a great source of parts, but do not fall into the trap of using the 2.0 engine whole. Use your z22se crank, rods and pistons, then buy a new set of rings. The B207 rings are slightly different and should not be used on z22se pistons.

vx220

Hi thanks for the replies guys and sorry for the slow reply on my behalf, I’ve had a nightmare few night shifts at work.

So I’ve been trying to do a bit of research into the b207 engine but I’m struggling. It seems everyone doing write ups on putting them in vx220s are building them into pretty serious engines. If I use the b207 do I only have to swap the crank, rods and pistons or is the anything else I need to be aware of like ancillaries and stuff. I’ve read that the oil drain into the sump need plugging which shouldn’t be a problem. Can I just plug the holes in the oil filter housing and use the sandwich plate for the oil cooler? Also I don’t really understand the score with the trigger wheel.

Is there by any chance a thread with just converting the b207 and keeping it fairly standard?

Thanks
Guys