Won’t Start

Fordy

Having checked the fuse box diagrams, I can't find anything that refers to an injector relay. The diagrams state that the brown relay in the engine bay relay box is for the headlight washers as evocarlos advised.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
its one of the purple relays ""efi relay"" powers all the parts on the engine injectors,fuel vent,egr,lambda heaters the coil pack is fed from the ignition supply the other purple relay is the fuel pump relay

Fordy

Having swapped the 2 purple relays over and the fuel pump still worked it seems that those relays are ok.

Fordy

Any other suggestions guys? I was planning on taking it to Germany this summer but at this rate it seems I may have to wait until next year :(

vocky

Staff
in my experience if there is no fuel coming from the injectors then the +12v power is missing, the ECU sends a switched negative to activate each injector.

What you could do is use some brake cleaner and spray this into the inlet manifold, open the throttle butterfly to do this. If the engine briefly runs then it's fuel issues

Fordy

in my experience if there is no fuel coming from the injectors then the +12v power is missing, the ECU sends a switched negative to activate each injector.

What you could do is use some brake cleaner and spray this into the inlet manifold, open the throttle butterfly to do this. If the engine briefly runs then it's fuel issues

Re-checked to see if the injectors were working with someone cranking the engine for me and there was definitely nothing coming from the injectors.

Sprayed some foam cleaner in through the throttle body whilst cranking and it didn't start. I had previously sprayed some degreaser which sprayed a fine mist rather than a liquid jet through the throttle body it ran very briefly. Didn't know whether that combusted under compression alone.

Based on this, what is the best way to proceed from here?

KevinH

It's worth checking the two purple relays again in the black rectangular fuse/relay box located on top of the ABS unit.

Ensure the ignition is switched off and remove them one at a time. Clean the terminals then smear some vaseline on them and replace. If either of the relays look slightly brown or are 'bulging' then renew them.

The relay part # is 90494959 (same for both).

Also worth a look at this thread:
https://z22se.co.uk/threads/engine-cutting-out-after-few-mins.29279/

:)

Last edited:

Fordy

So I’ve checked the purple relays again:
Checked with both relays fitted and the fuel pump starts and there is plenty of pressure at the rail but the car did not start.
I removed the fuel pump relay, turned the ignition on and the fuel pump did not start and the car did not start.
I bridged the fuel pump relay terminals (plugs 86 & 87 on the relay) and the fuel pump started but the car did not start.
Carried out the same procedure for the other relay and fuel pump started during each test, the car turned over on each test but the car did not start.
I checked the fault codes during each part of the test and here are the screens:
Ignition on and fault code refresh
25464156-78B4-45AF-BF8C-FF43A0D05B4A.jpeg

Refresh list after cranking6CEF92DA-DAD3-40E1-AB43-780833E081F5.jpeg

Turn ignition off and back on then refresh list
98AB93E3-AA41-479D-8F93-2BF6794A0D82.jpeg

Fault codes were the same regardless of the status of the relays.

Still no luck, anymore suggestions please

Fordy

Based on what IDI AMIN sent through I checked the injector harness connectors:

The power supply side of the grey connector has 6off wires. 1off red and black, 1off red and cream, 1off blue and green, 1off blue, 1off brown and 1off brown and green.
2300AE92-73C1-458F-A102-BB5EB8051886.jpeg
95CC71F9-FFB9-4DA2-BCDE-4F4A64CC1128.jpeg

The cars original injector harness (which the car started with and ran for 20 mins) has 4off wires going into the grey connector. 1off red and black, 1off red and cream, 1off blue and green and 1off blue
372395D4-7B72-43E5-8E75-A7716381CF91.jpeg
F4EC3794-1820-4A55-BB7D-904E3F6E1A34.jpeg

The injector harness that is now installed has 3off wires going into the grey connector. 1off blue and green, 1off red and blue and 1off black
4E4E97C1-EDA1-4FD3-BE9B-AFD51A5F8FDC.jpeg

So it’s obvious that I the injector harness that I have fitted is not the right one so I will remove it and reinstall the original harness

Fordy

Refitted the cars existing wiring harness and still no luck. Same fault code is present, injectors aren’t firing when cranking. Any other suggestions?

vocky

Staff
check to see if they have power, one side should have +12v with ignition on

so use the engine as the 0v and see if they have 12v

Fordy

Just rechecked the voltages:
Between one of the injector contacts and the positive battery terminal I get 6V and between the negative battery terminal I get 0V.
Between the other injector contact and the positive battery terminal I get 12V and between the negative battery terminal I get 0.04V